No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union welcome ‘‘considerable progress’’ in the UN-facilitated Libya military ceasefire talks in Geneva

bySami Zaptia
February 25, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

London, 25 February 2020:

The Embassies of France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, and the United States, as well as the Delegation of the European Union issued a joint statement today in which they welcomed the ‘‘considerable progress’’ in the UN-facilitated talks in Geneva toward a ‘‘lasting ceasefire’’ in Libya.

In the statement, they said that they also looked forward to the launch of political negotiations under UN auspices on February 26, as called for in UN Security Council Resolution 2510 (2020).

They added that as responsible Libyans come together in a serious and peaceful dialogue on the issues that divide them and called on all parties to ‘‘reject obstructionism’’ and engage in good faith as Libya moves forward with its democratic transition.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

Aldabaiba mocks Saleh’s ‘‘imaginary’’ request for a unity government as intent to prolong Libya’s transition stage

The statement is seen as both support for the head of UNSMIL, Ghassan Salame and a push to any parties thinking of obstructing or stalling the talks. Yesterday, the breakaway members of the House of Representatives based in Tripoli announced that they were boycotting the talks.

On Tuesday 18 February Libya’s internationally recognized government based in Tripoli and led by Faiez Serraj had announced that it was pulling out of the Libyan 5+5 military talks held in Geneva on 23 February. However, the next day the internationally recognized Libyan government backtracked and reversed this decision.

The suspension come after their adversary, the Libyan National Army led by Khalifa Hafter, continued to violate the agreed truce in the Tripoli fighting by bombing Tripoli’s Mitiga airport, Tripoli port and other civilian areas of the capital.

The bombing of Tripoli port was particularly pertinent as it had occurred at the time UNSMIL head Ghassan Salame was brokering the Libya military talks in Geneva and while U.S. Ambassador Norland was meeting with Hafter in eastern Libya.

The internationally recognized Serraj government saw this as the appeasement by the international community of Khalifa Hafter and as his blatant disregard for UN Security Council resolutions, the agreed truce and the agreed Berlin conference outcomes.

The Serraj government added that there can be no peace under bombardment.

Nevertheless, the talks did take part and UNSMIL was able to announce yesterday that a draft ceasefire agreement had been reached at the second round of the Libya military 5+5 talks in Geneva.

The military talks are between the forces of the internationally recognized Libyan government based in Tripoli and forces led by Khalifa Hafter, mainly based in eastern Libya.

UNSMIL had said that the two parties agreed to present the draft agreement to their respective leaderships for further consultations and agreed to meet again in March to resume the discussions and complete the preparation of the Terms of Reference of the sub-committees in charge of the implementation of the agreement.

It will be recalled that Khalifa Hafter and his allied forces launched an attack on Tripoli in April 2019 ostensibly to ‘‘liberate’’ Tripoli from ‘‘militias, Islamists and terrorists’’.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/02/24/draft-ceasefire-agreement-reached-at-55-libya-military-talks-in-geneve-unsmil/

 

 

Tags: 5+5 Libya Military talks 2020Berlin Libya conference 19 January 2020ceasefire truceGhassan SalaméHoR House of Representatives TripoliKhalifa HafterLibya UNSMILLNA Libyan National ArmyUN Security Council Resolution

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Yaqeen bank opens new Zliten branch, will open its main Tripoli branch this Thursday

Yaqeen bank opens new Zliten branch, will open its main Tripoli branch this Thursday

UNSMIL political track talks to go ahead despite pullout by Tobruk HoR and Tripoli State Council

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.