No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

France, UK and US welcome LNA Warfali murders’ probe

byNigel Ash
September 6, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

A man resembling Warfali just before he murdered three men this March (Screen grab)
A man resembling Warfali just before he murdered three men this March (Screen grab)

Tunis, 19 August 2017:

As a video emerged apparently of Saiqa members praising Mahmoud Warfali as a “hero” who represented all  Libyans, the British, French and US governments have said they support the Libyan National Army’s (LNA) probe into allegations that the Saiqa major is guilty of war crimes.

Welcoming Friday’s announcement by the LNA that it is investigating the summary executions shown in video footage, the governments said today in a joint statement: “We note that the LNA has recognised the arrest warrant by the International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor for a member of the LNA,  Major Warfali” continuing that they were encouraged by the decision to suspend him pending an investigation.

They called on the LNA to ensure that the investigation was carried out fully and fairly and that those responsible for the unlawful killings are held to account.

RELATED POSTS

Whiba Group’s Al-Dafniya Food Complex realizes first exports to France

UNICEF and France partner in “Baity-My Home” initiative for vulnerable children

The investigation formally started today.

Not everyone is happy with it, however.  In Bani Walid, the centre of the Wafala tribe there were demonstrations in support of Mahmoud Warfali.

Meanwhile footage has been posted on social media in which it seems that members of Saiqa defend Warfali as a hero and denounce the ICC, the UN, Italy and the UK. Speakers do not deny he was responsible for the summary executions of terrorist suspects, but rather they praise him. Those talking to camera in this unverified clip say that the killings had been ordered by armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter and were designed to “cause horror” .

In the statement today, the British, French and Americans insist that they are closely monitoring ‘acts of conflict’.

“Those suspected of committing, ordering, or failing to prevent unlawful killings and torture on all sides” they said, “must be fully investigated and held accountable, as appropriate. We will continue our efforts at the international level to pursue appropriate action against those who are complicit in violations of international human rights law or international humanitarian law, whatever their affiliation”.

Tags: featuredFranceICCLibyaLibyan National ArmyMahmoud WarfaliSaiqaUKUS

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Wirshefana close coast road over Tripoli student kidnapping

Record number of applications for embassy jobs

Record number of applications for embassy jobs

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.