No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ghwell said his fighters withdrew to prevent further damage in Tripoli

byNigel Ash
May 30, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Khalifa Ghwell (File photo)
Khalifa Ghwell  head of the resurrected National Salvation Government (File photo)

Tripoli, 29 May 2017:

Khalifa Ghwell has claimed all forces allied to the former General National Congress (GNC) withdrew from Tripoli on Saturday to protect the capital from any further damage.

The premier of the resurrected National Salvation Government, the administration put in place after Libya Dawn seized the capital in 2014, accused the Presidency Council (PC) of backing militias that had attacked pro-GNC forces. Describing the PC as a “council of disgrace”, Ghwell said it had “bought” militias who had left Libyans suffering economically and without any form security.

Ghwell also called for the creation of a unity government, presumably under his control, that would be inclusive and operate under the supervision of the international community.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Misratan sources meanwhile say that while members of the Samoud Front were fighting for the GNC in Tripoli on Friday, its leader Salah Badi remaimed in Misrata during the day.

The same sources claimed that most of the Misratan forces present in Tripoli supporting Fakhr Libya were small, irregular units. The larger contingents supporting the GNC were, however , said to be from western Libya and included the Kani Brigade from Tarhouna and the Amazigh-dominated Mobile Forces.

Other than to Misrata, the pro-GNC militias are understood to have withdrawn to Tarhouna, Zawia, and Sabratha. The evacuation to the last two towns is said to have been made by boats. Large quantities of arms and ammunition a also said to have been moved out of the capital by boat to Zawia.

Those Misratan militias remaining in the capital support the PC. These include units 301, 301 and 303 battalions which form part of the Halbous Brigade and the Misratan Abu Bakr Sadiq Brigade. The latter is protecting the customs headquarters.

This article has been updated.

Tags: featuredGNCKhalifa GhwellLibyaLibya DawnMisratansNational Salvation GovernmentPCSalah Badi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

New Egyptian Derna airstrikes as Cairo warns of Libyan Islamist threat

Presidency Council to blame for Tripoli violence says Abu Sleem council 

Presidency Council to blame for Tripoli violence says Abu Sleem council 

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.