No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Quartet insists all legitimacy, including HoR’s, stems from Skhirat agreement but says limited amendments permissible

byMichel Cousins
May 23, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Quartet memebrs at apress confeence rofay
Quartet members at a press conference today (Photo: EEAS)

Paris, 23 May 2017:

At its second meeting, held today in Brussels, the Libya Quartet – the UN, African Union (AU), Arab League and the EU – agreed that there could be “a limited set of amendments” to the Libya Political Agreement (LA). These should be facilitated by UNSMIL but Libya-led. However, the LPA remained the sole basis for an acceptable settlement. All legitimacy exercised by the Libyan authorities stemmed from it, insisted EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini at a press conference afterwards, including that of the House of Representatives (HoR).

Her statement was the most categorical declaration to date that the HoR’s elected mandate had expired and its continued existence came solely from the LPA as approved by the UN.

Hosted by Mogherini, the Brussels meeting drew together the UN and AU special envoys Martin Kobler and Jakaya Kikwete and the Secretary General of the Arab League of Arab States, Ahmed Aboul Gheit.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

In a 15-point statement, the Quartet said that the aim of the meeting had been to assess developments in Libya since their first meeting in Cairo on 18 March, and coordinate action.

There was nothing unexpected in the statement.

It renewed calls for an end to contacts with parallel institutions outside the LPA, rejected the use of armed force by any Libyan group or any foreign military intervention in the country, expressed its concern about recent violence and threats of violence in Tripoli, welcomed the return of calm in the oil crescent, and called on the Presidency Council (PC) to address security issues in the capital and elsewhere.

It also condemned last week’s attack on Brak Al-Shatti, saying that the perpetrators had to be held fully accountable.

Ignoring the damage that the attack had done to dialogue in Libya, the quartet went on to welcome recent meetings between Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj and Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar in Abu Dhabi and between the presidents of the House of Representatives and the State Council in Rome on 21st April. It also welcomed the appointment of dialogue committees by both the HoR and the State Council.

Expressing appreciation for the work of the Constitution Drafting Assembly, it called for the entire process to be finished as soon as possible so that general and presidential elections could take place.

The statement also expressed appreciation for ongoing regional efforts to support the Libyan political process.

It was not all enthusiastic optimism, though. The four also expressed concern about the economic situation in Libya. The Libyan authorities had to deal with the financial problems facing the country.

The Algerian minister for Maghreb African and Arab Affairs Abdelkader Messahel joined in talks with Kobler and the others on the sidelines of the meeting. This resulted in a statement from Messahel that there was a convergence of views on Libya between Algeria and the EU on the political process in Libya.

Tags: EUfeaturedLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post

LNA continues Fezzan push

Manchester-born bomber of Libyan parents named as Salman Abedi

Manchester-born bomber of Libyan parents named as Salman Abedi

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.