No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya Quartet insists all legitimacy, including HoR’s, stems from Skhirat agreement but says limited amendments permissible

byMichel Cousins
May 23, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Quartet memebrs at apress confeence rofay
Quartet members at a press conference today (Photo: EEAS)

Paris, 23 May 2017:

At its second meeting, held today in Brussels, the Libya Quartet – the UN, African Union (AU), Arab League and the EU – agreed that there could be “a limited set of amendments” to the Libya Political Agreement (LA). These should be facilitated by UNSMIL but Libya-led. However, the LPA remained the sole basis for an acceptable settlement. All legitimacy exercised by the Libyan authorities stemmed from it, insisted EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini at a press conference afterwards, including that of the House of Representatives (HoR).

Her statement was the most categorical declaration to date that the HoR’s elected mandate had expired and its continued existence came solely from the LPA as approved by the UN.

Hosted by Mogherini, the Brussels meeting drew together the UN and AU special envoys Martin Kobler and Jakaya Kikwete and the Secretary General of the Arab League of Arab States, Ahmed Aboul Gheit.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

In a 15-point statement, the Quartet said that the aim of the meeting had been to assess developments in Libya since their first meeting in Cairo on 18 March, and coordinate action.

There was nothing unexpected in the statement.

It renewed calls for an end to contacts with parallel institutions outside the LPA, rejected the use of armed force by any Libyan group or any foreign military intervention in the country, expressed its concern about recent violence and threats of violence in Tripoli, welcomed the return of calm in the oil crescent, and called on the Presidency Council (PC) to address security issues in the capital and elsewhere.

It also condemned last week’s attack on Brak Al-Shatti, saying that the perpetrators had to be held fully accountable.

Ignoring the damage that the attack had done to dialogue in Libya, the quartet went on to welcome recent meetings between Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj and Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar in Abu Dhabi and between the presidents of the House of Representatives and the State Council in Rome on 21st April. It also welcomed the appointment of dialogue committees by both the HoR and the State Council.

Expressing appreciation for the work of the Constitution Drafting Assembly, it called for the entire process to be finished as soon as possible so that general and presidential elections could take place.

The statement also expressed appreciation for ongoing regional efforts to support the Libyan political process.

It was not all enthusiastic optimism, though. The four also expressed concern about the economic situation in Libya. The Libyan authorities had to deal with the financial problems facing the country.

The Algerian minister for Maghreb African and Arab Affairs Abdelkader Messahel joined in talks with Kobler and the others on the sidelines of the meeting. This resulted in a statement from Messahel that there was a convergence of views on Libya between Algeria and the EU on the political process in Libya.

Tags: EUfeaturedLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post

LNA continues Fezzan push

Manchester-born bomber of Libyan parents named as Salman Abedi

Manchester-born bomber of Libyan parents named as Salman Abedi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.