Last Thursday, the Tripoli based Libyan Health Ministry announced the launch of the pilot ‘‘Comprehensive Health Coverage Project’’ in the Abu Saleem Municipality.
The Director of the National Centre for Health System Development of the Ministry of Health, Dr. Adel Al-Deeb, gave a visual presentation announcing the project launch, which chose Abu Saleem Municipality as a model for implementing this national project aimed at developing the health system to reach comprehensive health coverage that focuses on all levels, providing promotive, preventive, curative, and rehabilitative health care.
The launch of the project was attended by the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Health for Hospital Affairs, Dr. Saad Al-Din Abdel-Wakeel, the Mayor of Abu Saleem Municipality, Abdel-Rahman Al-Hamedi, the Directors of Health Institutions in the Abu Saleem Municipality, and several department directors in the Ministry of Health.
Part of strategic health policy
The presentation showed the importance of this project as a strategic option for the Ministry of Health that aims for:
- A digital transformation in the field of health care
- Implementing the Electronic Health File and Family Health
- Activating the referral system from primary health care centers to hospitals
- Focusing more on supporting primary health care programmes that provide vaccination and reproductive health services, the provision of medications for chronic diseases, community health awareness, school health, and mental health
- Achieving the sustainable development goals.
Part of government’s 2023 health development process
The Health Ministry pointed out that it had begun in 2023 to take several executive steps aimed at:
- Developing the pillars of the health system through digital transformation in the management of health services
- Implementing public tender in providing medical supply items
- Developing the organizational structures of the health system
- Recruiting doctors and specialists to health facilities in remote areas
- Supporting and enhancing health services through specialized therapeutic medical convoys
- Responding to health emergencies provided by the Emergency Medicine and Support Centre teams and the Ambulance and Emergency Services.