No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Demonstrators block roads with makeshift fires in protest at lengthening power cuts

bySami Zaptia
June 30, 2022
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Major Tripoli power cuts demo called called for Friday

Candle bulb (Photo: Thatchakon Hin-ngoen)

Demonstrators, overwhelmingly youth, blocked several roads in the greater Tripoli area yesterday setting alight to debris and old car tyres. The protests were against the continuing and lengthening power cuts.

Aldabaiba promised an end to power cuts
It will be recalled that Tripoli-based Prime Minister Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba had promised last year that there would be no power cuts to speak of this summer. He had convinced the Audit Bureau and Central Bank of Libya to make an exception and accelerate procedures for fast-track power stations to resolve the issue.

Tripoli West Fast Track
In May this year, GECOL announced that the first unit of the Tripoli West Fast track Power Plant is ‘‘about to enter production”. It did not specify exactly when.

It stated that the completion rate had reached 90% of the work on the project, which it said it was relying on to cover a large part of the generation deficit. The production capacity of Tripoli West is about 670 megawatts.

Misrata Fast Track
On June 15 GECOL announced that it had linked the power transformer for the first unit at the Misrata Fast Track power Station project in preparation for its entry into the electrical network at the end of June. It would provide a new power supply of 325 MW to the network.

RELATED POSTS

Military Intelligence Chiefs Conference for the Sahel and Mediterranean countries 2026 held in Tripoli

Aldabaiba instructs CBL to terminate Arkenu Oil Company’s oil sales agreement

GECOL expected the station’s second unit to go into operation at the start of July with another 325 MW of electricity. The two units will contribute to reducing the country’s current (acute) power cuts, GECOL said.

The news was later confirmed by the Tripoli-based Prime Minister Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba during a cabinet meeting.

Gas supplies reduced by blockade
However, the eastern-based political stakeholders of Khalifa Hafter, Ageela Saleh and possibly the HoR appointed Prime Minister Fathi Bashagha have blockaded oil and gas production in the eastern fields. This has reduced gas supplies to power stations

GECOL board suspended
On Sunday, Aldabaiba suspended the chairman and board of the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) and referred them to administrative investigation.

The roadblocks varied in length from area to area. Some fires were lit up on roundabouts and next to roads without stopping traffic.

Two of the biggest roadblocks and fires were at the Bivi traffic light and in Gurji. There were similar protests in Gaser Ben Ghashir, Kremia road, Tajura and Khoms.

Some areas suffered an 18-hour power cut with youth threatening to repeat the demonstrations if the power cuts were not reduced in length. Some areas also complained, as is the case every year, that their area suffered longer power cuts than other ‘‘favoured’’ areas.

In one video clip doing the social media rounds, demonstrators in Tajura said “Our issue is not Haftar, or Aldabaiba, or Bashagha. It is an angry demonstration against the corrupt authorities who have been unable to provide electricity for 11 years.’’

The Bivi demonstrators claimed they had voluntarily ended the road blockade. However, they warned they would be back if power cuts did not shorten.

Demonstration planned for Friday
There are still plans by NGO/activists to hold a large demonstration in Tripoli’s Martyr Square on Friday.

UN-brokered political talks in Geneva
Libya’s electricity crisis is very much linked to its political crisis. The UN is currently brokering talks in Geneva between the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Ageela Saleh, and the head of the High State Council, Khaled Mishri.

After the cancellation of the December 2021 elections, the UN is trying to get the two conflicting parties to agree on the constitution upon which to hold elections.

 

Power cuts touch a nerve and lead to call for politically neutral public demonstrations (libyaherald.com)

Lengthy power cuts lead to GECOL head Abdali being suspended (libyaherald.com)

Misrata fast track power station expected to enter service end of June (libyaherald.com)

Damage from Janzour militia clashes will result in power cuts and delay in Tripoli West power station coming online this summer: GECOL (libyaherald.com)

Tripoli West Fast Track power station about to enter production: GECOL (libyaherald.com)

As extreme temperatures cause longer power cuts, Aldabaiba and GECOL head come under pressure (libyaherald.com)

 

 

 

Tags: Abd Alhamid aldabaiba pm GNU Government of National Unitydemonstrations protestselectricity power cutsFast trackgasGECOL General Electricity Company of Libya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
HoR Speaker Saleh and HSC head Mishri finally meet

UN brokered Saleh-Mishri Geneva talks fail to agree constitutional basis for elections

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September

Second meeting of UN ceasefire monitors took place 27 to 28 June: UNSMIL

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.