No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL discusses Security Sector Reform and Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration with Libya’s Tripoli government

bySami Zaptia
July 14, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

London, 13 July 2020:

UNSMIL reported yesterday that it had held a virtual meeting on Saturday (11 July) with the Interior Ministry of Libya’s internationally recognized government in Tripoli on Security Sector Reform (SSR) and Disarmament Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR). The meeting included UNSMIL Acting head Stephanie Williams and Interior Minister Fathi Bashagha.

UNSMIL reported that the two sides ‘‘agreed on resuming the activities of the support programmes and projects – that were impacted following the outbreak of hostilities in April 2019 – and underlined the linkage between SSR and economic reforms’’.

RELATED POSTS

Mouta’alleq 3 Project holds Job Fair for ex-militias

UNSMIL facilitates Libyan militia DDR discussion event

It also reported that Acting SRSG Williams ‘‘expressed the Mission’s readiness to provide all necessary support to the Libyan authorities and stressed the importance of coordinating efforts at the national and international levels in order to achieve successful SSR and DDR in Libya’’.

SSR and DDR are one of the fundamental tenants of the 2015 Skhirat Libyan Political Agreement that has led to Libya’s current Presidency Council and so-called Government of National Accord. However, the government in Tripoli has failed miserably in DDR-ing militias in western Libya, in creating a unified police and army and achieving a monopoly on the legitimate use of force.

Coincidently, or not, the meeting comes on the back of UNSMIL’s condemnation on Saturday of clashes between militias officially recognized by the Faiez Serraj-led internationally recognized government in the Tripoli suburb of Janzur. These militias had been fighting side-by-side only weeks earlier against the Khalifa Hafter forces on the south Tripoli battlefronts.

In its condemnation statement, UNSMIL had said that ‘‘the clashes underscore the need for the GNA (Tripoli Libyan government) to move swiftly on effective and coordinated Security Sector Reform and Disarmament Demobilization and Reintegration efforts’’.

Neither the Faiez Serraj government nor its Interior Ministry, led by Fathi Bashagha, have made a comment on the fatal clashes.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/07/11/unsmil-condemns-clashes-by-officially-recognized-militias-in-janzur-dead-militia-bodies-desecrated-and-homes-burnt-report-and-analysis/

 

Tags: Acting UNSMIL head and SRSG Stephanie Williamsarmed groups militiasDDR disarmament demobilization and reintegrationfeaturedLibya UNSMILSSR Security Sector Reform

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Andalus bank opens three years after IPO

Andalus bank opens three years after IPO

Libya’s Banking Sector Development Forum welcomes CBL audit, insists on new meritocratic board of directors

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.