No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

130 wells sabotaged as Man-made River calls for provision of security

bySami Zaptia
June 27, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Amidst continuing summer water cuts, the MMR calls on the state to provide security for its assets as it reports 130 wells were sabotaged or stolen (Photo: Man-made River).

London, 27 June 2020:

As Libya’s stifling summer heat hits residents, amidst acute power cuts and Coronavirus curfews, Libya’s Man-made River (MMR) authority calls for the provision of security for its sprawling assets – including thousands of kilometres of pipelines.

The MMR was responding to rising criticism of it for the continued water shortages in the Greater Tripoli area. Many Tripoli residents have been forced to dig wells in their gardens and even on the pavement in front of their homes for those with no gardens. Wells of about 20 metres are costing about LD 5,000 with waiting times of about three weeks as demand peaks.

The MMR Authority said that it has been doing its best to continue to supply water with the wells that are still operating and within its dilapidated system. It says the system is in need of much maintenance due to the sabotage and theft of wells, as well as the lack of scheduled maintenance of wells and flow control valves.

RELATED POSTS

Man-made River Authority repairs 28 wells after electric shock puts all 34 operating water wells out of service

Tripoli’s Grand Water Reservoir: Aldabaiba to eliminate water scarcity by supporting development projects

It also blamed the poor security conditions and armed conflicts, which it said also disrupted the operation processes and put them in a very critical situation. Most of the MMR area had been in the area under the control of the Khalifa Hafter forces.

Vandalism and sabotage

The MMR reported that during this week alone, 3 wells were attacked and vandalized, bringing the number of wells that were vandalized during this and last month to 23 wells, while 17 wells were maintained in the same period.

It said that a total number of 130 wells were vandalized/stolen which led to the loss of approximately 460,000 cubic meters of water per day – which is enough to supply the consumption needs of the entire city of Tripoli.

Need for Security

The MMR reaffirmed its oft made demand and the importance of the provision by the state of security protection to the well field area to stop vandalism and theft and to ensure that the current water supply deficit is filled by the completion of maintenance work.

Tags: featuredMMR Man-Made Riverwater cutswater supply

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
As it reopens its air, land and sea borders, Tunisia announces its categorization plans – Libyans watch eagerly

As it reopens its air, land and sea borders, Tunisia announces its categorization plans – Libyans watch eagerly

Collection of the state’s Tuna fishing revenues discussed

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.