No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj government denounced another Tripoli water cut, called on southern social leaders to intervene

bySami Zaptia
August 12, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Water has been cut to Tripoli and the Western region again due to protesting southern armed groups at excessively long power cuts to the south (Photo: Social Media).

London, 12 August 2019:

The Faiez Serraj internationally-recognized government in Tripoli yesterday denounced the cutting off of water supply to the capital for yet another time. It called on the dignitaries and tribes of the southern region to intervene urgently to reopen the valves.

The water valves of the Man-Made River Project had been cut off under the use of coercive force by so-called armed groups in the southern region of Shwerif. The act has deprived the residents of the Greater Tripoli and the cities of the central region from the flow of water for the fourth day in a row.

Some residents in Tripoli that Libya Herald spoke to this morning say they have not had water for more than a week and that they were still catching up from the previous water cut.

RELATED POSTS

Man-made River Authority repairs 28 wells after electric shock puts all 34 operating water wells out of service

Tripoli’s Grand Water Reservoir: Aldabaiba to eliminate water scarcity by supporting development projects

The armed group had forced the water valve shutdown in protest at the overly long power outages in the southern regions of Libya. This act of protest had been repeated on numerous occasions this year and over the years since the overthrow of the Qaddafi regime in 2011.

In appealing to the dignitaries and tribes of the southern region to intervene urgently to reopen the valves, the Serraj government stressed that the teams of the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) were working hard to restore electricity to all areas in the country, and that it did not and will not differentiate inequitably in the distribution of electricity between the various Libyan cities or regions.

The Serraj government said that the power cuts were linked to the return of off-grid power stations and the limited capacity of supply lines.

It will be recalled that the southern region of Libya feel that they suffer excessive periods of power cuts compared to other coastal areas – a point of grievance that they interpret as the marginalization by the north of the south. As a result groups have on numerous occasions used water as a tool of expression and leverage of their political grievances.

Tags: Faiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedMMR Man-Made Riverpower electricity cutssouth

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Mitiga airport and Sug Juma shelled by Hafter during Eid truce – Tripoli forces claim

Libya’s oil revenues up by LD 1.96 bn to LD 17.4 bn on budget projections

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.