No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 25, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Local residents reported killed in Garabulli clashes between Ghwell fighters and pro-PC forces

byMichel Cousins
July 10, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

 

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tunis, 9 July 2017:

A number of local residents are reported to have been killed and injured as a result of indiscriminate rocket fire during fighting today in Garabulli, east of Tripoli, between mainly Misratan forces supporting Khalifa Ghwell’s “national salvation government” (NSG) and Tripoli forces backing the Presidency Council.

The pro-NSG forces moved from Misrata three days ago but stopped at Garabulli after Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj announced that he was calling of “friendly countries” to take action against them. It is reported that the Misratan forces feared that this might result in American bombing raids.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Interior Ministry security forces reclaim 4,000 hectares of state-owned farmland illegally occupied by citizens

Various Tripoli militias were then dispatched to Garabulli to force out the pro-NSG forces. These Tripoli forces include the Tripoli Revolutionaries’ Brigade led by Haithem Tajouri, the Tajoura Security Battalion, Ghneiwa’s Abu Sleem Central Security Force, the 8th Brigade, the 42nd Battalion and volunteers from a number of Tripoli districts.

By late today though, it appeared that the pro-NSG fighters had managed to repel the Tripoli forces and remained fully in control of Garabulli.

The municipal council there had already warned local residents to remain indoors.

This evening there were reports of pro-PC forces based in Tajoura reinforcing sand barriers on the coast road to prevent the pro-NSG forces advancing. Ironically, those doing so are said to be members of the Rahabat al Droua militia which normally supports controversial grand mufti Sadek Al-Gharaiani. He supports Ghwell.

The militia, though, while it has held back from any involvement in the fighting, says that it is securing the coast road to prevent any intruders entering the capital.

One of the consequences of the clashes today was further power outages in Tripoli. According to state electricity company GECOL this was because of transmission lines in Garabulli being hit in the fighting. Meanwhile, hospitals in Tripoli are reported warning they they expect wounded from the fighting.

In Tripoli itself this evening, though, most people were far more interested in the match between local team Al-Ahly and Egypt’s Zamalek in the CAF Champions League. People took to the streets to celebrate after the match which, although it ended in a 2-2 draw, secured Al-Alhy’s place in the quarterfinals.

 

 

Tags: GarabulliLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
BREAKING: LNA says tonight it has taken last Benghazi militant positions

BREAKING: LNA says tonight it has taken last Benghazi militant positions

Saudis extraditing four Libyans to Egypt

Top Stories

  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.