No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Another execution video seems to show the murder of 20 bound captives by an LNA unit

byNigel Ash
November 1, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Another execution video seems to show the murder of 20 bound captives by an LNA unit

A screen grab from the latest execution video linked to Warfali

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli and Tunis, 24 July 2017:

A new execution video has emerged in which 20 captives in Guantanamo-style orange jump suits are seen to be gunned down by masked men under the orders of a man who appears to be Mahmoud Warfali, a controversial Saiqa Special Forces commander in the Libyan National Army (LNA).

The footage comes in two parts. In the first, 18 hooded men in orange jumpsuits arranged into four lines can be seen kneeling in a sandy area. The man resembling Warfali stands to the side and orders five of his men, some in balaclavas, to stand behind the captives. On his command they then shoot their victims in the head, thereafter firing into their bodies. When it comes to the second row, the gunman closest the camera is still firing when the others have ceased and he then forgets to copy them by turning smartly on their heels and marching out of camera. Another set of killers in then ordered up.

The man who looks like Warfali, clutching some sort of white paper document which he has been consulting, then walks up with two other gunmen. They shoot the last three in the head. The commander uses his left hand to fire his pistol. Warfali is left-handed and in past videos in which he has been identified by UN human rights investigators, he fires weapons with that hand.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The video then cuts to another two militants kneeling in the sand, their faces covered and again wearing orange jumpsuits. Bizarrely, the theme tune for The Pirates of the Caribbean film plays in the background while they are shot.

This is the fifth execution video in which Warfali has seemingly appeared, though the first in which the victims were dressed in orange jumpsuits. But there is something odd about the footage. One of the victims nearest the camera in the penultimate row first falls on his head when he is shot and then topples to his left, revealing a spreading pool of blood in the sand. However, it is not obvious that the other victims were also bleeding after they have slumped forward. At the same time, with each of the many rounds fired there is a clear impact in the sand in front of the kneeling men.

In May, Warfali offered his resignation after the publication of the first three videos in which he was widely identified. However, this it was rejected by Saiqa Special Forces commander Wanis Bukhamada who instead promoted him from captain to major.

Last week the UN called for Warfali to be suspended while the LNA carries out the investigation into the footage which the LNA says it has mounted. The LNA’s response to the UN call was to say that every solider was innocent until it found him guilty.

Human Rights Watch  today demanded an immediate investigation into the latest footage. “This latest mass execution, if confirmed, would be one more in a string of atrocities committed by members of the Libyan National Army forces and is yet another manifestation of how its members are taking the law into their own hands,” Eric Goldstein, Middle East and North Africa deputy director for Human Rights Watch told Reuters.

It is unclear who the latest victims might have been. Saiqa Special Forces have been involved in the final stages of the fighting in Sidi Akribesh which was still continuing today, nineteen days after armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter announced on television the final victory over the Benghazi militants.

Tags: execution videosLibyaLibyan National ArmyMahmoud WarfaliSaiqa Special ForcesWanis Boukhamada

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Beida government insists its Islamic affairs authority is moderate

Beida government insists its Islamic affairs authority is moderate

Libyan oil output escapes OPEC cap pressure in St Petersburg

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.