No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Siala lambasted for apparent pro-Hafter comments; Tripoli’s Nawasi Brigade and tells him to quit, PC admonishes him

byMichel Cousins
May 10, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Siala lambasted for apparent pro-Hafter comments; Tripoli’s Nawasi Brigade and tells him to quit, PC admonishes him

GNA foreign minister Mohamed Siala (File photo)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Siala
PC foreign minister Mohamed Siala (Photo: PC)

Tripoli/Tunis, 9 May 2017:

Comments reportedly made in Algiers yesterday by Presidency Council foreign minister Mohamed Siala about Khlifa Hafter, seen as sympathetic to the eastern commander, have resulted in a powerful wave of criticism in Tripoli.

This morning, the Salafist militia in the city, the Nawasi brigade, called on him to resign. This was then followed by the State Council saying it “categorically rejected” Siala’s views. By the end of the day, even the Presidency Council had joined in with a clear rap over the knuckles.

At a press conference yesterday during the Libyan neighbours’ conference in the Algerian capital, Siala was asked about Hafter’s position. He is said to have replied that Hafter had been appointed supreme commander of the Libyan armed forces by the House of Representatives and was therefore the legal head of the Libyan military.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Rejecting this view, the Nawasi brigade said that Hafter’s position was unacceptable because he did not recognise the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA). It called on Libyans to support the 17 February revolution and reject both dictatorship and those looking to rule Libya through repression – a barely disguised allusion to the field marshal.

Taking a similar position, the State Council described Siala’s remarks as incompatible with the LPA and “irresponsible”. He had lost all credibility as a minister, it said, and the Presidency Council should take action against him.

Siala himself remained in Algiers today for the visit there of Presidency Council (PC) head Faiez Serraj. However, the fact that the two were there together did not protect him from a subsequent stiff admonition from Serraj.

In a convoluted and wordy statement clearly designed to calm tempers in Tripoli, the Presidency Council took him to task over his words about Hafter.

While not mentioning him by name, it said that “every official in the government” had to abide by the provisions of the Libyan Political Agreement, warning of the consequence of departing from them. The LPA was the foundation on which the PC’s own power was based, it said. In particular it referred to the importance of dealing with what it called the issue of appointments of sovereign, civil and military posts.

Anywhere else in the world such a admonition would result in an immediate resignation.

Meanwhile reports that the Nawasi brigade had attacked the Busetta naval base which Serraj had used as his headquarters and the nearby foreign ministry in a demonstration of their anger were untrue. There were clashes in the Busetta area involving Nawasi, but they were unrelated to the issue of Siala and his views on Hafter.

Tags: featuredLibyaMohamed Siala

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Clashes between rival militias cause panic in Tripoli

National Library in Benghazi recaptured as LNA losses mount

National Library in Benghazi recaptured as LNA losses mount

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.