No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sewehli says it is time for Tawerghans to return home

byMichel Cousins
April 29, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sewehli says it is time for Tawerghans to return home

Sewehli and Shakshak

By Libya Herald reporter.

Sewehli and Shakshak
State Council President Abdulrahman Sewehli (left) and head of Tawergha local council Abdulrahman Shakshak (Photo: State Council)

Tunis, 27 April 2017:

State Council president Abdulrahman Sewehli has thrown his support behind the Misrata-Tawergha deal that could see as many as 40,000 Tawerghans return home after more than half a decade of displacement.

The deal was agreed at the end of August through UN-backed endeavours but little has come to fruition so far.

However, with the Tawerghans still living in often appalling conditions in camps across Libya, Sewehli has again raised the issue, also discussing with the Tawergha local council leader Abdulrahman Shakshak how greater support could be given to the displaced people. Basic services and an improvement in living conditions were the priority, he said.

RELATED POSTS

NOC organises workshop with Germany’s GTG to develop renewable energy projects in oil fields

REAoL and partners conduct field visit to 1 MW Tawergha solar project site

The two met in Tripoli.

How effective Sewehli’s intervention will be remains to be seen, however. This is not the first time he has promised help. Eleven months ago, he promised to improve living conditions and security for Tawerghan refugees in the camps, but nothing has come of it.

Unfulflled promises of help and an end to the Tawerghan’s exile and misery have come from other political figures as well. A number of municipalities have offered land to build homes for the exiles, but there is no money to do so. There have been a numer of meetings between the Tawerghan leadership and the the Beida-based interim government of Abdullah Thinni to discuss the necessary financial support, the most recent in February, but nothing has transpired.

Controversial cleric Sadek Al-Ghariani earlier this month also said that it was time that the Tawerghans be allowed to return home, although he added that those who had been involved in war crimes against Misrata should be handed over and put on trial.

During the 2011 revolution Tawerghan fighters supported Qaddafi and his offensive against Misrata. Their forces were accused of numerous war crimes including rape, torture and the mutilation of Misratan soldiers’ corpses.

The 40,000 have remained in exile since.

Tags: Abdulrahman SewehliLibyaTawergha

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Locals mourn landmark Benghazi building demolished in battle for Suq Al-Hout

Locals mourn landmark Benghazi building demolished in battle for Suq Al-Hout

Sirte mayor receives assurances from Gansu that PC will aid his town

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.