No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

West Tripoli clashes force evacuation of central business area

byMichel Cousins
March 14, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
West Tripoli clashes force evacuation of central business area

asd

By Moutaz Ali.

Tripoli's Centra Business District (Photo: Social media)
Tripoli’s Central Business District (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli, 14 March 2017:

Staff working at Tripoli Tower and other buildings in the capital’s central business area were evacuated late this morning as fighting in the city’s western suburbs spread towards Suq Al-Thalath roundabout that separates central from west Tripoli.

“We were told to go home for our own safety,” a local resident working in one of the neighbouring five Dat Al-Imad tower blocks told the Libya Herald.

Waha Oil Company staff at the its Bulayla Tower headquarters  have also been evacuated.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

The fighting is a continuation of the clashes in Gurji that followed last week’s killing outside the Aman Bank headquarters by a Misratan guard of a man from Zintan but who was living in the suburb. It appears to have been the last straw for locals from Hay Andalous to Ghut Shaal who have already protested on a number of occasions against the presence of Misratan and Amazigh forces in the areas.

The fighting re-ignited last night when armed residents in Gurji and Hay Andalus attacked Misratan and Amazigh units, with Haithan Tajouri’s Tripoli Revolutionaries’ Brigade coming out in support of the locals. Other Tripoli forces, including those from  under Abdul Raouf Kara and Abdul Ghani Ghneiwa plus the police are also reported to have joined them. On the other side, the Mobile Forces based in Janzour area also reported to have also joined in.

The clashes spread to the neighbouring area of Ghut Shaal, Hay Al-Islamiya and Gargaresh. A number of shops, cafés and two banks, including the National Commerical Bank (NCB) are said to have been destroyed or damaged. The Momento Café, across the road from the NCB, is reported to have been targeted because of allegations that its owner is a member of Misratan milita. Tajouri is said to have moved tanks into the area.

Tanks are reported in the streets of Ghut Shaal and elsewhere in west Tripoli (Photo: Social media)
Tanks are reported in the streets of Ghut Shaal and elsewhere in west Tripoli (Photo: Social media)

So far there are no details about casualties. Residents, however, are staying indoors, schools and other buildings are closed, and roads in and out of the areas are blocked.

UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler has called for an immediate ceasefire in the area. Civilians were at grave risk as a result of the clashes,

“Repeated violence in Tripoli again demonstrates the need for united, professional security forces to protect the Libyan people,” he tweeted this afternoon.

Tags: featuredLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
LNA recaptures Sidra and Ras Lanuf oil terminals

LNA recaptures Sidra and Ras Lanuf oil terminals

Saadi Qaddafi murder trial adjourned for another month

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.