No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Rada arrests Mellitah oil executives in fraud probe

byNigel Ash
February 14, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Rada arrests Mellitah oil executives in fraud probe

The South Korean-built storage tanker Gaza at the centre of fraud claims (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)

By Jamie Prentis.

The South Korean-built storage tanker Gaza at the centre of fraud claims (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)
The South Korean-built storage tanker Gaza at the centre of fraud claims (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)

Tunis, 13 February 2016:

Four senior Libyan oil company executives were detained in Tripoli over an alleged fraud involving a new $425-million offshore oil storage vessel which only this week began woking in the Bouri oil field.

The executives, whose names are undisclosed, are from Mellitah Oil and Gas which operates the Bouri field. The company is a joint-venture between the National Oil Corporation and Italy’s Eni. The executives were detained by the Rada Deterrence Force which alleges that they abused their authority and wasted public money in the acquisition of the 120,000-tonne 329 metre-long storage tanker Gaza.

The floating storage and offloading (FSO) vessel was commissioned in 2012 from the South Korean yard STX Offshore & Shipbuilding in an ‘Engineer, Procure, Install, Commission’ (EPIC) contract typical of the oil industry. It was supposed to be delivered within 36 months. In fact it arrived last May at the Bouri field 120 kilometres off the coast. It has since been installed and tested before this week loading the first cargo into its 1.5 million barrel-capacity tanks.

RELATED POSTS

NOC Chairman gives green light to start installation of giant compressors in Bahr al-Salam field ‎

Mellitah Oil and Hill International sign projects management agreement in presence of Trump’s Africa Advisor Boulos

Rada alleges that the contract price was inflated compared with the cost of other FSO vessels elsewhere in the world. It also says that though the Gaza was delivered eleven months late, penalty clauses for five percent of the contract value were not exercised. Moreover, it is being claimed the cost of the project overran by $100 million when the maximum overrun was limited to ten percent of the total price.

Rada says the men arrested include the chairman of the operations management committee in 2015, the legal adviser and the project manager who it alleges was also connected with the original bid.

The Gaza replaces the ageing storage tanker Sloug. The Bouri field discovered in 1976 began producing in 1988. Recently, Eni has begun to increase its activities in Libya. Last month it announced it had begun drilling an exploratory offshore gas well some 80 kilometres north of Zawia.

Tags: Bouri offshore fieldEnifeaturedGazaLibyaMellitah OIl and GasNOCRadaSlough

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Italian ambassador says Hafter must be part of solution to Libya crisis

Benghazi : Tanarout where art is reborn

Benghazi : Tanarout where art is reborn

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.