No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj and Sewehli motorcade attacked on motorway, two guards slightly injured

bySami Zaptia
February 20, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Serraj and Sewehli motorcade attacked on motorway, two guards slightly injured

Serraj and Swehli survive an attack on their motorcade originating from the Rixos area. (Photo: PC/GNA)

By Sami Zaptia.

Serraj and Swehli survive an attack on their motorcade originating from the Rixos area. (Photo: PC/GNA)
Serraj and Swehli survive an attack on their motorcade originating from the Rixos area. (Photo: PC/GNA)

London, 20 February 2017:

There has been a failed assassination attempt on three leading political figures in Tripoli this morning. A motorcade transporting Presidency Council head/Government of National Accord prime minister Faiez Serraj, head of the State Council Abdulrahman Sewehli and the head of the Presidential Guard Najmi Nakoa, came under ”heavy shooting” as it drove by on the motorway in Tripoli this morning.

It was reported that a black Toyota Cruiser with two passengers drew up to the motorcade and opened fire at it.

The news was initially confirmed to Libya Herald by the media office of the  State Council. The PC/GNA Media Office as well as the PC/GNA Official spokesman Ashraf Tulti have confirmed the incident since.

RELATED POSTS

CBL welcomes signing of Unified Development Agreement between HoR & High State Council: important step towards strengthening financial stability and unifying development efforts

HSC welcomes peaceful resolution of Tripoli government-SDF / RADA standoff over Mitiga airport and prison control

The SC media office reported that the firing came from ”the armed groups based in the (Rixos) Palaces” area of Tripoli. While it reported that two guards in the motorcade were slightly injured, both the PC/GNA Media department and official spokesman Tulti refuted any injuries.

The HSC Media office said that three leaders were currently in an ”emergency” meeting in Tripoli.

A statement later in the day by Abdulrahman Swehli named Khalifa Ghwell as being behind the incident. The Rixos complex and Guest Palaces is the old home of the former General National Congress  and the base of self-proclaimed prime minister Khalifa Ghwell and his so-called Government of National Salvation.

The PC/GNA said that its forces gave chase to the attackers with the aim of arresting them and referring them to the judiciary.

Photos were later released by the PC/GNA media department showing Serraj and Sewehli officially opening the Central Investigation Department in Drebi. The incident was said to have occurred on their way back from that function.

Tags: Abdulrahman SwehliFaiez SerrajfeaturedHigh State Council HSCPC/GNA Presidency Council Government of National Accord

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Serraj hopes the Russians will help him meet Hafter

Fezzan members end HoR boycott

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.