No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Army turns its fire on Benghazi’s Sabri district

byNigel Ash
November 23, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Army turns its fire on Benghazi’s Sabri district

Suq Al-Hud and Sabri (map based on Google Earth)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Suq Al-Hud and Sabri (map based on Google Earth)
Suq Al-Hout and Sabri (map based on Google Earth)

Benghazi, 22 November 2016:

In a sign that the army seems confident that it has broken the back of Islamic militant resistance  in Ganfouda, Saiqa Special Forces commander Wanis Bukhamada has been given the job of retaking Benghazi’s Sabri and Suq Al-Hout areas.

Bukhamada, whose men last week overran the Gwarsha Gate, for years the symbol of the Ansar Al-Sharia terrorist presence in the city, has not yet commented on his new objective. However, artillery fire today appeared to be softening up the area which has many narrow alleys and a series of high buildings from the tops of which snipers have been operating. It is also believed that the neighbourhood is extensively booby-trapped and internal connecting passages have been knocked through many buildings.

Although the army retook the port last year the adjacent Suq Al-Hout and Sabri areas have remained in terrorist hands.  Reinforcements and supplies have in the past managed to get through to the Sabri beach.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Shot of what the BRSC says its people in Sabri have been eating
Shot of what the BRSC says its people in Sabri have been eating

In addition local fishermen have continued to catch fish either from the shoreline with nets or lines or in small boats. A photo published recently on a BRSC website claimed to show how well the “besieged” fighters in Sabri were living, with fresh fish and a pasta dish as well as fizzy drinks.

However the maritime lifeline for Ganfouda and Sabri/Suq Al-Hout= may now be interdicted. The army claims that naval patrol boats intercepted a supply run early this morning some 35 kilometres off the Benghazi coast. Reports vary, but two boats, one of them apparently carrying fuel, may have been sunk in the engagement.  No photographs of the action have been issued, the armed forces merely putting out a file photo of a heavy machine gun being fired from a patrol vessel.

This loss comes on top of the October sinking of two vessels which the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council admitted belonged to them, when they were tied up at the quay of Misrata’s Libyan Iron and Steel Company works. This was the second such sinking at that quay.

Tags: BenghaziBRSCBukhamadafeaturedLibyaSabriSuq Al-Hud

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Over 600 migrants rescued off Libya:  one dead and many missing

Over 600 migrants rescued off Libya: one dead and many missing

Sebha’s "Monkey War" set to end after agreement accepted by Awlad Sulaiman and Qaddadfa

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.