No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Gatrani says Serraj is in a political coma

byNigel Ash
August 13, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ajnadin Mustafa and Moutaz Ali.

Ali Gatrani last month with UNSMIL's Kobler in Cairo (Photo: UNSMIL)
Gatrani last month with UNSMIL’s Kobler in Cairo (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tripoli, 12 August 2016:

The row between Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj and his two boycotting Council members escalated today when one of them, Ali Al-Gatrani, accused the Council of acting as agents for foreign powers intent on dividing Libya and stealing its wealth.

Gatrani was responding to a warning from Serraj that he and fellow boycotter Omar Al-Aswad should resume their duties within a week or the PC would be asking the Libya Dialogue to appoint replacements.

In his written response Gatrani demanded that Serraj wake up from what he described as his “political coma”. He said that the PC chief was risking Libya’s security and unity by persistently dealing with some of his fellow council members as if they were employees working for him rather than as partners who represented far-flung parts of the country.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL to facilitate inclusive youth political dialogue in Tripoli on 11 December

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Gatrani also argued that under the Libyan Political Agreement, it was not for the Dialogue to appoint replacement  PC members. That job rested with the House of Representatives and the State Council who were obliged to consult to select a substitute

Apart from a brief reconciliation, Gatrani and Al-Aswad have been boycotting the PC since January. Al-Aswad is from Zintan and Gatrani from the east. Gatrani, who is close to armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter, has accused the rest of the Council of being run by the Muslim Brotherhood. His key objection to the PC and by extension the Libyan Political Agreement, is the transfer of the control of the armed forces from the House of Representatives to the Presidency Council.

Although he has not joined in council meetings, Gatrani has sought to exercise some authority, for instance ordering Central Bank governor Saddik Elkaber to quit. That instruction was not heeded.

There have been efforts to persuade him that his arguments will be stronger if he resumes his place on the nine-seat PC . Last month, UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler met him in Cairo and almost certainly tried to bring him back into the Serraj administration. Kobler later described their exchanges as “cordial, frank and useful”.

Early reports that Serraj wanted to replace Gatrani and Al-Aswad suggested that he was thinking that the PC itself had the authority to fire them. However, he is working through the Libya Dialogue to seek action against the two boycotters, on the basis that they have not fulfilled the duties assigned them.

Tags: AswaddialoguefeaturedGatraniKoblerLibyaLPAPresidencu CouncilSerraj

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Militants claim French drone killed civilians

Militants claim French drone killed civilians

LIA chairman Bouhadi resigns as HoR appoint their man Shamekh as CEO

LIA chairman Bouhadi resigns as HoR appoint their man Shamekh as CEO

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.