No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA claims full control of Ganfuda and mopping up pockets of resistance in Gwarsha

byMichel Cousins
July 17, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Ayman Amzein.

Benghazi, 1 July, 2016:

The Libya National Army (LNA) says that it has now taken complete control of the south Benghazi district of Ganfuda, including the Nowruz beach which was still being used by the militants until a few days ago to ferry in goods and ammunition and take out wounded and fleeing fighters. The LNA also claims that most of Gwarsha is also now under its control although today, loud explosions could be heard coming from the district.

One of the places it says it took today is the roundabout next to the pipe factory.

In the fight for Ganfouda, it is reported that six LNA soldiers, mainly from 204 Brigade, were killed and another 15 injured.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Among those reportedly killed among the militants was a Libya Islamic State (IS) commander, known as Abu Abdullah Al-Ansari. According to the Libyan news agency LANA, his real name was Hamouda Al-Tirah.

A senior source within the LNA also says that once the south of Benghazi is fully liberated, it will turn its attention to dealing with the pockets of resistance still in city centre, in Suq Al-Hout and Sabri.

The LNA’s spokesman, Colonel Ahmed Misrmari, has meanwhile said that reports by Basil Igtet of a two-week ceasefire agreed between the LNA and the mujahideen in Derna are untrue. General Hafter had not agreed to anything and Igtet’s ideas about a ceasefire were purely his own.

Igtet, a successful businessman with political ambitions, is from Derna and revisited it recently for talks with the Islamist mujahideen, encouraging them to take part in a ceasefire.

Tags: Basil IgtetBenghaziLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

GNA loses four from cabinet line-up

More "Russian" dinars arrive at Labraq

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.