No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Residents move back to Benghazi’s Garyounis and Gwarsha districts – to rebuild homes and lives

byMichel Cousins
February 7, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Houses in Gar Younes
Destroyed homes in Garyounis (Photo: Libya Herald)

Benghazi, 7 February 2017:

More than two years after they were forced to flee, residents are returning to Garyounis and Gwarsha and starting to rebuild their lives. But in so many cases they are finding their homes had been caught up in the fighting and sufferd extensive – and expensive – damage.

“The outside wall has been destroyed, the walls covered in bullet marks and many of my possessions stolen or broken beyond repair,” despaired Mohamed Ali, a 38-year-old teacher.

He had been renting a flat in Birkah district with his family but financial constraints forced his return to Garyounis this week.  “I just can’t afford the 800 dinars a month I’ve been paying,” he told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

His case is not uncommon. Two years ago Majdi, 31, fled Garyounis with his pregnant wife and mother. Now he is back home and with a young daughter, because he too can no longer afford the rent of an apartment, in his case in downtown Jamal Abdul Nasser Street. Large parts of his property have been damaged. But he is pragmatic.

“The apartment is a mess. But I’ve started to fix it up and my family have moved back in. Tomorrow I’m handing back the keys to the owner of the flat I’ve been renting ” he said.

Damaged shops in Garyounis
Damaged shops and homes in Garyounis (Photo: Libya Herald)

In many cases in Garyounis, though, homes will have to be demolished altogether and rebuilt. Theythe damage has been so severe. That is particularly the case with many apartment blocks.

 

garyounes 3
Damaged apartment blocks in Garyounis (Photo: Libya Herald)

In nearby Gwarsha, with its small farms, Ayhab, a 37-year-old bookshop owner, moved his large family back last week. On his little farm there are two homes. His parents and brothers live in one and he, his wife and two children in the other. Despite his home being “severely damaged” he too has begun to pick up the pieces of his former life, after staying in Kish for two years with in in-laws.

“We’ve started rebuilding the homes. In all honesty, they are not so bad that we couldn’t move back in” he said.

But going home is not so easy for everyone.

The dangers from unexploded mines are very real even though the authorities have said it is safe to return to the two areas.

Walid Al-Warfali, a 30-year-old bank clerk wants to return to the family home near the European hospital in Gwarsha. But he cannot. “My father has forbidden it because of the mines.” So he is staying put in Salmani for the time being until the mine-clearers have done their work.

For 21-year-old medical student Mohamed, though, the reason for not going back was very different. His family could not move back to Gwarsha, he said because someone had been killed in their home. They were afraid it was now haunted.

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli’s Art House celebrates 24th anniversary with ‘‘Reflection’’ exhibition

Italian civil aviation officials assess security at Mitiga

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.