No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj and Muscat look to illegal migration and the return of the Maltese embassy to Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
May 5, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Serraj and Muscat look to illegal migration and the return of the Maltese embassy to Tripoli

s

By Libya Herald reporter.

s
Serraj and Muscat at the press conference in Tripoli today (Photo: Presidency Council)

Tripoli, 4 May 2016:

Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat has said that the Maltese embassy will only reopen in . . .[restrict]Tripoli when there is proper security in the city. He was speaking at a press conference at the Bu Setta naval base with Presidency Council head and prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj today during his visit to the Libyan capital.

Malta would probably be one of the first countries to reopen its embassy in Tripoli he suggested, but added that “we need to be confident that when the Maltese embassy in Tripoli reopens, our staff will be safe.”

Other than the reopening of the Maltese embassy plus the linked issue of restarting Air Malta flights to Tripoli, talks between Serraj and Muscat focused on illegal migration and the general security situation in Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Universal Air starts direct flights between Malta and Tripoli

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

Illegal migration would be a priority in further discussions with Malta, Serraj said, speaking nervously at his first press conference with a foreign political leader.  He added that Libya was trying hard to address the issue and that joint technical commissions would be set up between the two countries to deal with this and other matters.

The visit by Muscat, who was accompanied by Maltese Foreign Minister George Vella, was the first to the Presidency Council by a foreign prime minister. It was primarily intended, Muscat admitted, to send strong signals of support for the Government of National Accord ahead of it being sworn into office.

According to him, the joint technical commissions to be set up would deal with energy, illegal migration, fuel smuggling, security and bilateral business.

“The Libyan government is very eager to resume technical talks on these issues, and they consider the resumption of air links between the two countries as an important pre-requisite,” he said, but added that it results on many should not be expected immediately. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMalta

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

UNSMIL calls for support for Sebha hospital after 12 infant deaths

UNSMIL’s Kobler arrives in Moscow this evening

UNSMIL's Kobler arrives in Moscow this evening

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.