No Result
View All Result
Monday, December 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR plans vote on government despite two ministers rejecting nomination

byMichel Cousins
February 16, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub.

Prime Minister-designate Faiez Serraj due in Tobruk tomorrow . . .[restrict](File photo)
Prime Minister-designate Faiez Serraj due in Tobruk tomorrow (File photo)

Tripoli, 15 February 2016:

Prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj flew to Cairo  today after leaving Skhirat and is due in Tobruk tomorrow to present the Presidency Council’s new proposed government to the House of Representatives (HoR). He is, however, already faced with two of his would-be ministers rejecting their nominations: Fakhr Bufernah, chosen as finance minister and Muhanad Younis, given the Martyrs, Wounded and Missing portfolio.

Having concluded on Saturday not to hold today’s session when it appeared that there was no chance of a government being announced in time, the HoR today decided there should be one, but called on Serraj to turn up in person to present his new government tomorrow and spell out its agenda.

According to a source in Tobruk, HoR President Ageela Saleh also wants to give the opportunity to more members to join the vote on the government.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Interviewed on TV today, he said that the HoR had just received the names of the ministers and needed some time to consider them. But it was vitally important that a national unity government be formed at the soonest opportunity, he added.

It is impossible at present to predict how the HoR will respond to the new government offering. The two resignations within hours of it being announced is bound affect its credibility. There are also questions about the proposed ministers’ expertise in the posts they have been given. A leading local government official was damning in his assessment of the new local government minister, Bidad Gansu Massoud. “He does not understand local government,” he told the Libya Herald adding that “most [of the ministers] are not familiar with their departments”.

The rejection of the government by two Presidency Council members, Ali Gatrani, a close ally of General Khalifa Hafter, and laywer Omar Aswad is also bound to influence the views of members.

The latter has said that the reason he refused to sign the announcement was that the government would not work, that several ministers were not up to the job, that there was a lack of transparency in their selection and they had been hurriedly chosen. He also said that that one of the selected ministers stood accused on charges of corruption. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali GatraniFaiez SerrajfeaturedHouse of RepresentativesLibyaOmar Aswad

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Serraj calls for government approval delay, HoR agrees but sets conditions

Fifth anniversary of revolution generates mixed feelings among Libyans

Fifth anniversary of revolution generates mixed feelings among Libyans

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration

    Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.