No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

40+ dead in Sabratha air strikes

byNigel Ash
February 26, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
40+ dead in Sabratha air strikes

A picture said to show last night's Sabratha raid (social media)

By Saber Ayyub.

A picture said to show last night's Sabratha raid (social media)
A picture said to show last night’s Sabratha raid (social media)

Tripoli, 19 February 2016:

Suspected IS targets in Sabratha have been hit early this morning in a seemingly devastating airstrike . . .[restrict]by what appear to be US warplanes.

Sources at the town’s hospital have told the Libya Herald that at least 41 bodies have so far been brought it, along with numerous casualties. The source added that the injured were all Arabs from a variety of countries, but none of them was Libyan.

Sabratha mayor Hussein Dawadi told Libya TV that the properties that had been hit were suspected to be occupied by IS. He added that some of the occupants had only recently arrived in the town.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tripoli Chamber discussing leading delegation to WOC show in Las Vegas, USA in January

There are unconfirmed reports that one of the targets was an IS leader, Tunisian Noureddine Chouchane.

Noureddine Chouchane who may been a key target for the airstrike (social media)
Noureddine Chouchane who may been a key target for the airstrike (social media)

Ansar Al-Sharia has long-maintained a camp outside Sabratha which has become an IS  transit camp for recruits arriving from Tunisia and also a training ground. The three Tunisians responsible for the Bardo and Sousse terror attacks on tourists are all said to have trained in Sabratha.

It was widely suspected that terrorists from the camp were responsible for the January 2014 beach murder of a British oil worker and a New Zealand friend on a Sabratha beach.

Though Sabrathans originally denied the presence of any such camp, attitudes have changed as the terrorists sought the increase their local influence and threatened the priceless Roman ruins that are the coastal town’s major asset. The Sabratha Security headquarters were bombed last December and mayor Dawadi declared a state of emergency in the town.

[/restrict]

Tags: airstrikefeaturedLibyaNoureddine ChouchaneSabrathaUS

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
US admits early morning Sabratha airstrikes

US admits early morning Sabratha airstrikes

Serb diplomats killed in US Sabratha air strike: report

Serb diplomats killed in US Sabratha air strike: report

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.