No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libyan assets must remain frozen until unity government in Tripoli says LIA’s Breish

byMichel Cousins
December 23, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

LIA Chairman Abdulmajid Breish (Photo: LIA).
AbdulMajid Breish (Photo: LIA)

Tunis, 23 December 2015:

The head of the Libya Investment Authority (LIA) in Tripoli, AbdulMajid Breish, who insists that . . .[restrict]the LIA controlled by him is fully independent in the country’s current divisions, has called on the UN not to unfreeze Libyan assets until a national unity government is operating in the capital.

“While important negotiations on a National Unity Government continue, it is imperative that the Libyan Investment Authority’s assets remain ?frozen to safeguard them against the continued threat of misappropriation and corruption,” Breish has said in a press statement.

It would, he added “be dangerous, and deeply counter-productive, to let the prospect of peace provide an excuse for unfreezing any of the LIA’s assets”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In his statement, he said the LIA would “review the sanctions only when the political situation in Libya stabilises and we have an operational National Unity Government operating out of Tripoli”.

In a reference to the separate LIA administration headed by Hassan Bouhadi set up by the Beida government of Abdullah Thinni, he stated that “rogue parallel institutions outside the country have been appealing to the international community to loosen the sanction regime on LIA’s assets in order to gain access to these funds”.

Bouhadi’s LIA is based in Malta and in September asked the High Court in London to fast track a ruling on who has authority over the LIA’s $67 billion-worth of assets around the world. In an interim verdict, the court called on the British government to state whom it recognised – the Thinni government in Beida or the Khalifa Ghwell one in Tripoli – adding it would issue a final decision in March next year.

Officially, the UK position is that it does not recognise government but states. In reality, however, it is backing the new Government of National Accord (GNA) headed by Faiez Serraj which was formally signed into existence by the UN-led Libya Dialogue in Skhirat, Morocco, last week. Moreover, taking a position that is bound to affect the court’s decision in March, it agreed at the 13 December Libya Conference in Rome that it would cease all dealings with individuals connected to the LIA, the Central Bank of Libya and the National Oil Corporation who did not “function under the stewardship of a Government of National Accord”.

It is unclear from Breish’s reference to a national unity government if he means the GNA. The rival “Libya-Libya” process being driven by the presidents of both the General National Congress and the House of Representatives also now intends to try and appoint a separate national unity government.

As to the unity government having to operate out of Tripoli, it appears extremely unlikely that the GNA will be able to do so in the near future because of militia opposition to it. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdulmajid BreishfeaturedLIALibya

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

May 18, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

May 18, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
Next Post
Libya’s dire humanitarian situation requires urgent funding warns UN

Libya’s dire humanitarian situation requires urgent funding warns UN

Questions over GNC invitation to Prince Mohammed Senussi

Questions over GNC invitation to Prince Mohammed Senussi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.