No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler starts tomorrow

byNigel Ash
November 17, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
New UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler starts tomorrow

UNSMIL's Martin Kobler slams Ganfouda mutilation (File photo)

By Libya Herald reporters.

UNSMIL's new chief Martin Kobler (Photo: UN)
UNSMIL’s new chief Martin Kobler (Photo: UN)

Tripoli,  16 November 2015:

The new UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler starts work tomorrow trying to pick up the pieces . . .[restrict]of the widely-criticised and rejected Peace Accord put together by his predecessor Bernardino Leon.

The Accord received an extra blow when leaked emails revealed that Leon was leaving for a lucrative job in the UAE, which has backed the government against Libya Dawn. The messages also appeared to show that Leon was deferring to the UAE Libyan policy and seeking to minimise the influence of Libya Dawn and the General National Congress. Ironically Leon, along with the Americans and British, had long been accused of favouring the Muslim Brotherhood, ignoring their extensive defeat in the 2014 general election.

Optimist to the last, Leon had insisted that the Accord and a Government of National Accord were almost a done deal. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had said that Leon’s term was being extended because continuity was essential.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

Martin Kobler therefore faces a tough task, not the least of which will be trying to rebuild trust in the UN and its peace process. The background of this 62 year-old German career diplomat suggests he is well qualified. He has served with the UN in Afghanistan for a year then in 2011 headed the UN mission in Iraq (UNAMI). He then moved, in 2013, to run the UN Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has a 22,000-strong UN peacekeeping multinational force.

Lieutenant-General Paolo Serra, Kobler' s new security adviser (Photo: UN)
Lieutenant-General Paolo Serra, Kobler’ s new security adviser (Photo: UN)

A second new appointment to UNSMIL is the Italian Lieutenant-General Paolo Serra who has joined as Kobler’s senior adviser on security in relation the the dialogue process. Announcing his appointment today UNSMIL said that Serra had broad experience of multination peace operations. From 2012 to 2014 he was head of mission and force commander of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL). [/restrict]

Tags: featuredKoblerLeonLibyaPaola SerraUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Dangers for Libyan journalists highlighted at UNESCO workshop in Tunis

Dangers for Libyan journalists highlighted at UNESCO workshop in Tunis

New UNSMIL chief says Peace Accord hard work cannot be wasted

New UNSMIL chief says Peace Accord hard work cannot be wasted

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.