No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GNC revolt against Abu Sahmain grows

byMichel Cousins
May 3, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli/Tunis, 8 November 2015:

Several members of the General National Congress (GNC) are reported to have been physically prevented from entering . . .[restrict]the GNC’s hall today by supporters of GNC president Nuri Abu Sahmain. He is said to have ordered the action because of fears that in addition to a vote in favour of the proposed Government of National Unity (GNA), they would sack him as GNC president because of his moves to frustrate the vote.

Abu Sahmain allegedly used supporters, headed by boycotting HoR member Abdurraouf Manaie, as well as political activist Mohamed Busaifi, to keep the doors of the conference hall closed and suspect members of Congress out.

A small demonstration also took place this morning outside the GNC headquarters, allegedly approved by Abu Sahmain, at which protestors tried to intimidate those in favour of his removal.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

“Abu Sahmain used some gangsters to prevent members from holding a meeting because the majority in the GNC now is with the proposed government,” a GNC member said this evening, asking not to be identified.

“Abu Sahmain has been doing this for some time because he knows that a majority of the members support the new government”, he added.

Today’s action came after a record 71 GNC members were reported to have had demanded the military and security powers given by Congress to the president last year be revoked.

Up to 80 GNC members are said to have lined up behind Nizar Kawan, leader of the Justice and Congress party in the GNC, and Misratan politician Abdurrahman Sewehli, to remove Abu Sahmain.

However, at present, they appear unlikely to succeed because he is able use his presidential powers to decide when GNC members should meet.

Last week, a more opaque document, seemingly signed by 50 GNC members, appeared on social media demanding that Abu Sahmain and Congress take a clear stand on the Dialogue agreement and the GNA. Its authenticity cannot be guaranteed.

A similar document also circulating on social media and apparently signed by 87 members of the House of Representative, endorsing the Government of National Accord and the Libya Dialogue agreement, is meanwhile likewise  being dismissed by opponents in the HoR because, they allege, it contains fake signatures.

If the 50 GNC signatures are correct, it represents a major move forward. Just over a fortnight ago, only 25 members of the GNC could be gather to state agreeing to the Dialogue accord, and the GNA. However, only one of them, Abu Qassem Igzeit from Misrata, put his name to it. The 24 others said they dared not, fearing reprisals from hardliners. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Media Centre to be built in Benghazi

Two Serbian envoys seized near Sabratha but ambassador escapes: report

Two Serbian envoys seized near Sabratha but ambassador escapes: report

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.