No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hadba Prison chief suspended, guards sought in Saadi abuse claims

byNigel Ash
October 28, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

A video allegedly showing prison guards torturing Saadi Qaddafi has appeared on social media (Photo: Clearview).
A video allegedly showing prison guards torturing Saadi Qaddafi has appeared on social media (Photo: Clearview).

Tripoli, 26 October 2015:

The director of Hadba prison has been suspended and arrest warrants issued for three guards . . .[restrict]following revelations in a video showing Saadi Qaddafi being abused, Human Rights Watch has revealed today,

HRW researchers went to the prison last month to see three Qaddafi-era figures condemned to death in July,  Abdullah Senussi,  Abdulzeid Dorda and Al-Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi and well as Saadi, whose own trial is still under way.

HRW was told by Khalid al-Sharif, director of Hadba that the official in charge of the prison had been suspended.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

When  HRW visited Sadiq Al-Sour the chief investigator for general prosecutor Ibrahim Bashiya, he said that as a result of the torture video, arrest warrants had been issued for the three guards implicated but they had not yet been found. Two of them were still in Libya, he said, but one had gone abroad.

HRW explained that its researchers met each of the four high-level detainees for between 30 and 45 minutes, without guards.

Saadi had told them that he had been held in solitary confinement in a windowless cell, had had no communication with other prisoners and been denied private meetings with his lawyers  during his pretrial detention in Hadba prison because of “ security concerns”. When HRW quizzed him about the nine-minute video that showed him being abused along with other detainees, he said that he had been “terrorised” and did not wish to go in to details.

Saadi revealed that he had been allowed a few calls to family members but only with a guard present. Past surgery had left him with back pain as well as breathlessness. He had received treatment in the hospital.

The human rights organisation learnt that Saadi’s trial was due to start its fourth session on 1 November.

Senussi, Dorda and Mahmoudi also, said HRW, alleged serious due process violations, including lack of private access to lawyers, the inability to call or question witnesses, the refusal of the judges to allow them to speak during their trials and the intimidation of their lawyers by “armed groups”. Mahmoudi also claimed that he had been mistreated during interrogation.

All three were among nine senior ex-regime figures sentenced to death in July, in the main for their actions in seeking to suppress the 17 February revolution. One of those facing a firing squad is Saif A-Islam who is held by the ZIntanis. HRW reported that Sour said he expected all nine to have submitted appeals by 28 September. The organisation said however that by law, the Supreme court automatically reviewed death sentences.

Sarah Leah Whitson, HRW’s MENA director warned: “The Supreme Court needs to address the many allegations of grave due process violations [made] by the defendants and their lawyers when it considers the appeals of the verdicts against the former officials”.

She added that the court now trying Saadi needed to ensure that he was granted his full rights.

HRW researchers also reported that in Tripoli they had met one of the defence lawyers who claimed that he had his colleagues had been threatened for taking up the cases. Besides not having private meetings with their clients, they had been denied access to some 30,000 pages of prosecution evidence. The 500 pages that they did receive arrived too late for them to study properly before their clients were called upon to plead.

The Libya Herald has been told but been unable to confirm that the suspended Habda prison chief is Mohamed Ghuwider. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah SenussiAbdulzeid Dordaal-Baghdadi al-MahmoudifeaturedHRWIbrahim BashiyaKhalid Al-SharifLibyaMohamed GhuwiderSaadiSadiq Al-Sour

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Tobruk hospital’s foreign staff unpaid as health sector woes deepen

Tobruk hospital's foreign staff unpaid as health sector woes deepen

Ministry of Local Government to relocate to Musaid

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.