No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Indians held in Sirte safe, says embassy; believes they will be released soon

byMichel Cousins
August 11, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 11 August 2015:

The Indian embassy in Tripoli says it believes that two of its citizens thought to . . .[restrict]be being held by in Islamic State forces in Sirte are safe. “We’re very, very optimistic that they will be released soon,” an official at the embassy told the Libya Herald.

There had been no direct contact with the captors of Ch. Balram and T. Gopi Krishna, he said, but intermediaries had informed them that the two were being well looked after and that they would be freed shortly.

Four Indians, all academics at Sirte Univerisity, were seized on 29 July by IS forces as they were leaving for Tripoli to catch a flight out of the country. Two of them, Lakshmikant Ramakrishna and Vijay Kumar, were then freed a couple of days later but the other two are still unaccounted for.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

Contrary to claims that many, if not most of IS supporters in Sirte are foreign, Ramakrishna, now back in India, has said that those who carried out the kidnapping were locals youths who now supported IS, some as young as 13 years of age, others at the university. Some of the latter had actually been his students. They had recognised him and Kumar afterwards and let them go.

The other two were not based at Sirte but at the university’s campus at Hun, 270 kilometres to the south. As such, they were not known to the students, which may have been the reason why they were not released at the same time.

As for media reports that an Indian, thought to be one of the two, had been executed by IS, the embassy official said that they had checked out the story and that the original source had admitted to getting it wrong. [/restrict]

Tags: IndiaIslamic StateLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Jebel Akhdar forest facing disaster over illegal charcoal trade, Agriculture department warns

Jebel Akhdar forest facing disaster over illegal charcoal trade, Agriculture department warns

Government renames Tripoli International Airport as Idris International Airport

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.