No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Government approves request to build new A&E hospital in Benghazi

byMichel Cousins
May 25, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Benghazi Medica Centre (Photo: File Picture)
Benghazi Medica Centre, one of only two government hospitals open in the city (Photo: File picture)

Benghazi, 25 May 2015:

The government has agreed to a request from Benghazi Municipal Council for a new Accident and . . .[restrict]Emergency hospital in the city. Approval was given on Saturday at the cabinet meeting in Beida.

In a letter to the Thinni government two days earlier, the Mayor of Benghazi, Omar Barasi, had said that the city needed a new hospital, which it said should to be built away from any residential areas. The Health Ministry should also decide its specifications.

The request for a new facility, which would also have a burns unit and a trauma centre, is seen as a response to the fighting in the city. There are only two hospitals operating at present – Jalaa Hospital and Benghazi Medical Centre. Hawari Hospital, Jumhuriya Hospital, the 7 October Hospital (also known as 23 July Hospital) and several private clinics are closed and large numbers of medical staff, particularly Filipino and Indian nurses, have been forced to leave the country because of the dangers. In any event, most residents in the city opt to travel to Tunisia, Turkey or Egypt for treatment that is not urgently required.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

It is no surprise that the request was given the go-ahead by the government. Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni had already said that rebuilding Benghazi was a top priority. At the same cabinet meeting, it approved an initial allocation of half a million dinars to help displaced Benghazi families return to their homes. Many have been destroyed in the fighting in Benghazi.

The funds will come from the 2015 budget.

The Cabinet has also endorsed the purchase of land in Benghazi to build a new sewage treatment plant.

The big question regarding the hospital is whether the money will be available for it. The government is strapped for cash at present, and it is highly unlikely it will have access to sufficient funds to build any new hospitals for some time to come. An alternative would be to allow a foreign hospital company to operate but a similar proposal two years ago were fiercely opposed by local doctors and came to nothing.

Given the lack of funding, Saturday’s hospital; decision is seen as an approval in principle but that nothing will happen at present.

Meanwhile, there is talk of reopening Hawari Hospital at the earliest. The LNA now controls the area but it is not safe. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

More prisoners freed in west

Ghat schools get aid from UNICEF

Ghat schools get aid from UNICEF

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.