No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benina militia commander released after allegations

byMichel Cousins
May 10, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benina militia commander released after allegations

Ezzedine Al-Wakwak (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald staff.

Ezzedine Al-Wakwak (Photo: Social media)
Ezzeddine Al-Wakwak (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 9 May 2015:

Ezzeddine Al-Wakwak Al-Barghathi, the head of the militia that controlled Benina airport, has been released . . .[restrict]after being detained for three weeks following allegations that he had been involved in a number of assassinations in Benghazi.

They were made by men caught in Benghazi who apparently admitted their role in several killings. They are reported to have specifically alleged that Al-Barghathi, invariably known as Wakwak, had ordered the killings of Colonel Ahmed Al-Barghathi and Captain Azmi Al-Barghathi. He was detained on 14 March after he had gone to the prosecutor’s office to answer questions about the allegations and was then taken to the Garnada military camp at Shahat.

Military police chief Ahmed Al-Barghathi was gunned down outside his home in Benghazi on 18 October 2013.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Azmi Al-Barghathi died in suspicious circumstances on 3rd June, 2014 in fighting at Sidi Faraj. At the time it was said that he had been killed in the fighting. However, there were allegations even then that he had been murdered.

Previously an air force officer, he had had joined Saiqa Special forces, and was in charge of protecting its base at Benina. He shot to fame across Libya in October 2013, when in a phone-in to Wissam Ben Hamid, the Islamist commander of Libya Shield No.1 brigade who was being interviewed live on Alaseema TV, he as well as Wakwak accused him of being behind Ahmed Al-Barghathi’s death. Azmi also called him a tyrant.

His release follows a meeting last Saturday at Benina of members of the Awakir tribe, the second largest in Cyrenaica, and its sub-tribe, the Barghatha, at which they demanded he be freed. In a statement, they said Waqwaq could not have killed either Ahmed Al-Barghathi or Azmi Al-Barghathi, to whom he was related (and after whom he named his youngest son, born after Azmi’s death).

The statement also contained a pledge not to attack members of the Abadla tribe – a reference to the fact that the person seen as directly responsible for Wakwak’s arrest and detetion is Lieutenant Faraj Al-Abdali, head of Benghazi’s anti-terrorism unit. He took the allegations about Waqwaq to the military prosecutor which led to his arrest and detention.

A declaration not to attack Abdali or members of his tribe is alleged to have been demanded by the prosecutor.

Wakwak himself has reportedly denied the accusations and is said to be sanguine about the whole matter. He is reported saying that he supports a state of law in Libya, a statement seen as implying that it was right for the prosecutor to investigate allegations. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
BMC again hit

BMC again hit

Benghazi book fair draws crowds

Benghazi book fair draws crowds

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.