No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Islamist leader claims to have destroyed 80% of LNA and that Hafter wanted to do deal

byMichel Cousins
May 19, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Benghazi Islamist leader claims to have destroyed 80% of LNA and that Hafter wanted to do deal

Wisam Bin Hamid on naba TV1 copy

By Mohamed Shikhi.

Wisam Bin Hamid on naba TV1 copy
Wisam Ben Hamid on Al-Nabaa TV

Benghazi, 17 May 2015:

One of the main commanders of the pro-Islamist Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council (BRSC), Wisam Ben Hamid, . . .[restrict]has claimed that his forces have now destroyed 80 percent of the Libya National Army in Benghazi and that they will win “for sure”. He also alleges that before launching Operation Dignity in Benghazi a year ago, General Khalifa Hafter tried to do a deal with the Libya Shield No. 1 brigade, led by Ben Hamid.

The surprising claims were made in an interview on Al-Nabaa TV  yesterday evening, the first anniversary of  the start of Hafter’s operation.

“Our forces, the Majlis Shura, have now destroyed 80 percent of the Libyan Army. They are thieves who are killing civilians” he said. “There is only a few of Hafter’s forces . . . who have been left alone on the battlefield because Benghazi knows very well that the city can be only secured by the revolutionaries . . . Our forces will win for sure”, Hamid declared.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

He also revealed that “Hafter tried many times to make contact with us before he entered Benghazi by sending his sons and some of his relatives. But we refused because Hafter wanted to be the Libyan Sisi,” a reference to Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, who as head of the army overthrew the country’s then Muslim Brotherhood President Mohamed Morsi.

The claim about having destroyed four-fifths of the Libyan National Army does not tally with the situation on the ground in Benghazi where BRSC forces, which include Ansar Al-Sharia, have been pushed out of much of the city.

Ben Hamid, who has not been seen in public for many months, in fact appeared to accept this on more than one occasion in the interview. When asked about Dignity, he said that Benghazi was refusing to accept the real revolutionaries because it had been misled by a media campaign waged by Hafter and his supporters.

He also said that Shield No.1 had been unacceptable to people in Benghazi, which was why the BRSC had been set up in its place.

When, last July ­– one of the last occasions he appeared on TV – he was filmed alongside Ansar leader Mohamed Al-Zahawi at the Saiqa camp in Buatni which they had just captured, the heavily bearded and triumphant Ben Hamid took a strongly Islamist line promising that their joint forces would take control of all Libya, impose Sharia law, and kill “all apostates”.

There was none of the rhetoric this time. The long beard was gone and there was no reference at all to the presence of Islamic State (IS) forces in the 30-minute interview. Nor was there any reference to the Sharia, although he used the word “Sahawat”, employed by IS forces in Iraq to describe those opposed to them, to refer to Hafter’s forces.

As to why the BRSC had not arrested anyone behind the assassinations and attacks in Benghazi when the organisation was set up and commissioned by the General National Congress to secure the city, the question was left unanswered.

When asked whether he would accept Libyan security being solely in the hands of the police and army, there was distinct mockery. “When there will be police and army ? Then everything will be fine,” he said sarcastically with an apparently forced grin on his face.

Throughout the interview, however, the former Benghazi car mechanic who made his reputation fighting against Qaddafi’s forces in the revolution, appeared ill-at-ease and emotional. His voice was often shaking and he repeated himself several times.

Continuing his seemingly delusional grasp of reality,  he finished the interview by promising  displaced pro-BRSC families would be able to return to Benghazi “soon” and that his fighters would take their place as the city’s elite.

It is not known where the interview took place. It is thought to have possibly been in Misrata where his family, including his father-in-law Salem Jaber, an Islamist imam, are now reported to be staying.

 

LCDF support banner [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziBenghazi Revolutionaries Shoura CouncilfeaturedLibyaWisam Ben Hamid

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Letter of Credit import ban on 32 items by Tripoli authorities

Tripoli gunmen seize Tunisians after commander is arrested in Tunis

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.