No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Huge blaze destroys Tripoli’s largest supermarket

byNigel Ash
January 21, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Huge blaze destroys Tripoli’s largest supermarket

Fire takes complete hold of the supermarket (photo: social media)

By Libya Herald Reporters.

Fire takes complete hold of the supermarket (photo: social media)
Fire takes complete hold of the supermarket (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 19 January 2015:

A massive fire has devastated Tripoli’s largest supermarket today. Initial reports said that seat of . . .[restrict]the fire was in a ground-floor bakery where it had been triggered by an electrical fault. However, the Islamist group Daesh, has claimed that it was responsible for the fire.which broke out at around 12.40 this afternoon.

On a social media site associated with the terrorist group, the claim was made that the Souk Attalat Aljaded had been destroyed because it sold items that were considered “haram”  – forbidden under a fundamentalist version Islamist teaching.

It is possible that the Daesh claim is spurious although it a cell certainly appears to now exist in Tripoli despite statements to the contrary by the Hassi “government”.

RELATED POSTS

With a new grocery marketing concept, the International Farms Company opens three supermarkets in Tripoli

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

There have also been assertions on social media that the fire began among a pile of rubbish at the back of the building and then again that it had started somewhere on the second floor.

A witness who supported this latter theory was quoted as saying that the alarm system had not worked. Staff were yelling for people to get out. It was alleged that as some customers fled, they seized goods and took them out of the store with them.

Pictures on social media appeared to show smoke coming from the high windows of a single storey building, while the rest of the supermarket seemed to be unaffected.

A picture seemings showing the first first in a single story building (Photo: social media)
A picture seemings showing the first first in a single story building (Photo: social media)

Initial estimate put losses at LD 30 million for fittings and goods destroyed and damage to the building at LD 60 million.  The building is owned by the government. It was leased five years ago to a private partnership.

When the Souk Attalat Aljaded was built it the late 1970s, the Qaddafi regime boasted that it was the last word in retail malls. The five-storey building had a sprinkler system which was updated around the turn of the century.  It would seem that today the system did not work effectively, if at all.

It is being said that the first fire engine did not arrive until half an hour after the emergency call went out.  By that time, the blaze, fanned by moderate winds, had taken hold and had turned into an inferno.

A video clip shows a singe fire engine spraying an intermittently powerful jet of water at the flames on the ground floor. By the time further fire appliances arrived, the top two floors of the building had already collapsed.

Casualties are unknown as yet. Officials have insisted that the only one from the fire was a man whose face was burnt. [/restrict]

Tags: DaeshfeaturedfireLibyasupermarket

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

CBL transfers LD 9 million of scholarship funds for overseas students

Confusion over Geneva dialogue after confidential Leon-Abu Sahmain talks in Istanbul

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.