No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ghadames II postponed

byMichel Cousins
December 9, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli/Tunis, 8 December 2014:

In a sign that neither side in Libya’s highly polarised political environment is prepared to . . .[restrict]shift its position and is losing interest in dialogue, UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon has announced that the dialogue talks which were supposed to start tomorrow, Tuesday, have been postponed until early next week.

Leon who arrived in Tripoli during the day said that the delay is to give both sides more time to consider the situation.

He met with Nuri Abu Sahmain head of the rump General National Congress which insists it is still be Libya’s legitimate parliament, for what the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said were part of the “intense consultations” that it has been having with Libyan key players in recent weeks.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Leon later said that all Libya’s various groups needed to take part in the dialogue. The only group he excepted was Ansar Al-Sharia. It means, as leaked earlier, that selected members of Congress are being invited to join the talks alongside member of the HoR.  However, whether the later will accept this remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, the political scene appears to be fracturing further. Misrata member of the HoR Fathi Bashagha, who has been boycotting its proceedings but took part in the Ghadames I talks and is seen as a leading figure trying to bridge the divide in the country, was reported on Misrata TV saying the Omar Al-Hassi administration was not legitimate because it was not legally appointed and that Libya Dawn’s reason to exist finished when it ejected the Zintanis from Tripoli International Airport.

It is feared that his intervention may spur opponents to dialogue among Libya Dawn to take action against those in favour.

Complicating the picture further are reports that that Constitutional Drafting Assembly is considering suggesting that both the HoR and Congress be replaced with an interim legislature made up of all the country’s new elected mayors.  So far there are some 75.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònGhadames IILibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
Senior Libya Dawn commander killed near Sabratha; Misrata sends reinforcements

Senior Libya Dawn commander killed near Sabratha; Misrata sends reinforcements

Leon announces GNC to be part of dialogue, heads to Tobruk

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.