No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA claims “operation to liberate Tripoli” has started; Sorman and Janzour among targets targeted say Zintanis

byMichel Cousins
March 25, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
LNA claims “operation to liberate Tripoli” has started; Sorman and Janzour among targets targeted say Zintanis

Libyan Airforce Mig 23 Jets which may have been used in the airstirkes (Photo: Libyan Airforce)

By Libya Herald staff.

Libyan Airforce Mig 23 Jets which may have been used in the airstirkes (Photo: Libyan Airforce)
Libyan Airforce Mig 23 Jets which may have been used in the strikes (Photo: Libyan Airforce)

Tripoli/Tunis, 22 November:

The operation to take Tripoli from Libya Dawn has began, Libyan army and Operation Dignity officials . . .[restrict]in Benghazi have declared.

Both Saqr Adam Geroushi,the head of Operation Dignity’s air force in Benghazi, and Mohamed Hejazi, spokesman for Operation Dignity, told the Libya Herald this afternoon that bombing raids carried out west of Tripoli yesterday and today were the first stage of the planned move on the capital.

“We have sent planes to the west. We have an airbase there,” said Geroushi, adding the aircraft would, if necessary, be used to attack Mitiga and Misrata airports if they did not cease operations as ordered. He also said that the ports at Tripoli, Misrata and Ras Hilal would also be targeted. In a move that suggests an attempt by the government to reach out to the Amazigh community, he added that Zuwara airport and port were exempted from the closure order and could continue to be used for civilian purposes. However, if it were discovered that arms were moving through Zuwara port or airport, they too would be targeted.

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Implementation of Zintan Free Zone and exhibitions centre ongoing

Geroushi would not give the location of the airport in the west. However an officer at the Zintan Operations Room told this newspaper yesterday that two fighter aircraft were based at the mountain town’s airstrip and were now in active service following the delivery of aviation fuel. They had bombed Bir Ghanem, Hosh Al-Seteen near Gharian and Bu Sheiba, he said.

This afternoon the same officer said that the aircraft today bombed Libya Dawn positions in Sorman, Janzour and Najila – claims that have not been confirmed. Nor have there been any reports so far about casualties.

The officer also said that a cargo plane with arms and equipment to be used against Libya Dawn had landed at Zintan. He further added that helicopters would arrive in the next couple of days as part of the operation to recapture Tripoli.

The Zintan officer appeared not to be particularly concerned that the Zintan airstrip or the aircraft might be hit by planes under the control of Libya Dawn. He claimed Libya Dawn and Misrata had no fighter planes, only training aircraft. These had been modified to carry bombs and had been used in a failed bombing raid against the airstrip earlier in the week, he said, but he was confident of air superiority. [/restrict]

Tags: fearturedLibyaLibya Dawnoperation dignityZintan

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Planes and ships in Libya Dawn areas “military targets”: High Command

Planes and ships in Libya Dawn areas "military targets": High Command

Boat carrying weapons and supplies captured in Benghazi as fighting continues

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.