No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Operation Dignity offers opposing combatants amnesty before Benghazi assault

byCallum Paton
September 9, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Noora Ibrahim.

Mohamed Al-Hejazi in Tobruk (Photo: Social Media)
Mohamed Al-Hejazi in Tobruk (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 9 September 2014:

Operation Dignity says it is offering the Libyan fighters ranged against it a final . . .[restrict]chance to lay down their weapons ahead of what it has said will be a “massive assault in Benghazi”.

Speaking in Tobruk, Operation Dignity spokesman Mohamed Hejazi said Islamist fighters in the city were being given one last opportunity to help in the building of Libyan society with their fellow countrymen.

He asked the combatants, which are mainly aligned with Ansar Al-Sharia and the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council, to “go back to your mothers”, adding that this offer would only be extended to Libyan fighters.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Hejazi said terrorists, “takfiris” (Muslim extremists who accuse others of being apostates)  and criminals had gathered in Benghazi from across the world.

Operation Dignity has said several times that it has captured foreign fighters, particularly from Algeria and Tunisia, during clashes in the city.

Operation Dignity has claimed that yet more foreign fighters have travelled to join radical Islamist groups based in Derna and the Jebel Akhdar.

No further details of the would-be assault on Benghazi were given. Despite Dignity’s frequent statements to the contrary, the force appears to have been pushed on the back foot in Benghazi in recent weeks. At the end of Ramadan, Saiqa Special Forces, Operation Dignity’s closest allies in the city, were forced out of their base in Buatni by Ansar Al-Sharia and its allies.

On the other hand, the Islamists have, for nearly a month now, made repeated but unsuccessful assaults on Dignity’s last held positions within the vicinity of the city at Benina Airport and a nearby Air Defence unit’s barracks.

There are unconfirmed reports that the Islamists may be running low on ammunitions. The Libya Shield  commander Wissam Ben Hamid is said to have travelled to Misrata to obtain further supplies.

[/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziLibyaoperation dignity

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
UNSMIL chief meets with head of Constitutional Drafting Assembly

UNSMIL chief meets with head of Constitutional Drafting Assembly

Mayor elected for Hay Al-Andalous

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.