No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

I’m still Chief of Staff declares Obeidi

byMichel Cousins
September 16, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
I’m still Chief of Staff declares Obeidi

By Ajnadin Mustafa.

Obeidi
Major-General Abdussalam Obeidi at the time of his appointment last year (Photo: Libyan Embassy, London)

Tripoli, 16 September 2014:

The former Chief of Staff, Major-General Abdussalam Jadallah Obeidi, who was sacked by the House . . .[restrict]of Representatives last month, has declared that he is still in post. Speaking on Al-Nabaa TV yesterday, he said that he had not been formally notified of his dismissal. In any event, he added, he was going to appeal to the Supreme Court on the matter.

Obeidi was removed after being questioned by the HoR amid allegations that he had supported Libya Dawn militiamen. He was replaced by Colonel (now Major-General) Abdul Razzaq Nazhuri, a senior commander in Khalifa Hafter’s Operation Dignity. As a result of this it, theoretically, has no separate existence and is now part of the national army.

At the time of Obeidi’s dismissal, General Staff based in Tripoli refused to accept it, saying they still supported him. Although he himself was initially reported to have agreed to it, in his TV appearance yesterday he said that no decision concerning national security could be taken while the country did not have a constitution.

RELATED POSTS

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

Chief of Staff of Libyan Army Al-Namroush discusses supporting pilot training, improving the Air College and developing Naval forces

He also came out firmly in support for Libya Dawn.

He said that the Libya Shield forces (part of Operation Libya Dawn) had participated in the 17 February Revolution and had to be supported. He also stated that any individual or body that took decisions which were against the revolution had no legitimacy – a direct reference to the HoR. As for the places under Libya Dawn control, everything there was working well, he declared: the situation on the ground in the west, of the country where Libya Dawn operates was “excellent”, he stated.

Meanwhile yesterday, sources at the Central Bank of Libya in Tripoli said that Saddek Elkaber, sacked as its chairman on Sunday by the HoR, also planned to appeal to the Surpeme Court.

The source claimed that Elkaber had a five-year contract and could not be sacked by anyone, including the HoR, unless there was proof of embezzlement or of undermining state security.

Elkaber is reported to have taken the view that since he too has not been formally notified of his dismissal, he is not going to comment on it. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdussalam Jadalah ObeidiCBL Governor Saddek Elkaberchief of staffLibya

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Small window of opportunity to pull Libya back from the brink: UNSMIL chief

Small window of opportunity to pull Libya back from the brink: UNSMIL chief

Combatants claim LROR leader captured in Warshefana clashes

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.