No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Registration for Tripoli municipal elections to start next week; Amazigh boycott “over”

byMichel Cousins
March 8, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 8 March 2014:

Voter and candidate registration for four new municipal councils in the Tripoli area will . . .[restrict]begin next week, according to the chairman of the Central Committee for Municipal Council Elections (CCMCE), Otman Gajiji. The four municipalities are Central Tripoli, Suq Al-Juma, Abu Sleem and Hay Andalous.  At present they are largely covered by Tripoli Local Council which will cease to exist once the results are declared and the new municipal councils start work.

No time has been set for the elections, but it is thought they will take place by mid-May.   

The election process has already started in three other new Tripoli municipalities – Tajoura, Ain Zara and Swani – although voter registration in them has just been extended until Thursday, 13 March. It has also been extended in another 12 new municipalities: Al-Gharifa, Bir Al-Ashhab, Brak Ash-Shatti, Emsalata, Garabulli, Ghadames, Gardah Ash-Shatti, Idri Ash-Shatti, Nalut, Obari, West Zawia (one of five Zawia area municipalities) and Zuwara.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Libya and Italy discuss establishment of the Libyan Italian Vocational Training Centre in Zuwara

Meanwhile, according to Gajiji,  voter and candidate registration in underway in a further 45 municipalities, among them Khoms, Zliten, Sebha, Tobruk and Benghazi. In the latter, so far 70 candidates and 50,000 voters have registered. The local Benghazi subcommittee of the CCMCE had been hoping to register 130,000 people but is now reported to accept that it will have to go for a lower figure. Benghazi Local Council, however, has been fully supportive of the municipal election process. 

The municipal election process is also now getting underway in Tarhouna, where a local sub-committee has just been appointed, and at Sabratha and Misrata, where voter and candidate registration are to start shortly.

So far, although elections have been held for 15 of the new municipalities, in only four – Beida, Shahat, Awjila and Zultan – have final results been declared and mayors elected.  This is said to be because of delays by the Public Officials Standards Commission (POSC) which stopped vetting municipal candidates in order to concentrate on those for last month’s Constitutional Assembly elections. Final results are still awaited in Gharyan, Tazerbu, Traghen,Wadi Atba and Zintan, among others.

One significant development is an end to the Amazigh boycott of the municipal election process. Nalut and Zuwara, where voter registration has been extended until Thursday are both Amazigh towns and had been subject to the boycott of all elections ordered by the Supreme Amazigh Council because of anger at having just two seats reserved for the community in the Constitutional Assembly.

As far as municipal elections as concerned, “the boycott is now over”, said Gajiji today. 

Confirmation that Amazigh leaders have agreed to end it now that the Constitutional Assembly elections are over came from Ibrahim Makhlouf, head of Amazigh Supreme Council and from the leader of Zuwara Local Council Yousef Hasairi.

“The Amazigh Supreme Council, in line with our desire to move ahead to the next step in building democracy in Libya came to the decision that all the Amazigh towns should proceed  with municipal elections,” Makhlouf told this newspaper today.

“Going ahead with the municipal elections is a wise decision from the Amazigh Supreme Council,” said Hasairi. “We must be a part of it.”

However, elections in Jadu and Yefren, two other prominent Amazigh towns, are still to be organised.

The completion of the Constitutional Assembly elections is one of the reasons why the municipal process has now speed up.  Another is that half the LD 106-million funding voted by Congress for the elections has now been freed up with the appointment of a new financial comptroller for CCMCE. (The other LD 53 million is yet to be paid to CCMCE’s bank account).  It has allowed staff salaries to be paid, electoral equipment to be bought, and advertising to take place.

“Things are moving much faster because the financial process is now working”, said Gajiji.

With input from Taziz Hasairi

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: CCMCECentral Committee for Municipal Council ElectionsLibyamunicipal electionsnalutOtman GajijiTripoliZuwara

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
French rights group tour Leptis Magna with the Libyan Women’s Union

French rights group tour Leptis Magna with the Libyan Women's Union

Plant a tree campaign starts in Suq Al-Juma

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.