No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Constitutional Committee election final turnout put at half million

byCallum Paton
February 23, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Constitutional Committee election final turnout put at half million

By Jamal Adel.

Nouri Elabbar and HNEC officials at HNEC headquarters (Photo: Jamal Adel)
Nouri Elabbar and HNEC officials at HNEC headquarters (Photo: Jamal Adel)

Tripoli, 23 February 2014:

Releasing the full figures for the turnout in Thursday’s Constitutional Committee elections last night, . . .[restrict]the Higher National Elections Commission (HNEC) has reiterated that an attempt to re-run the contest will take place on Wednesday in those polling centres where violence or blockades prevented it happening.  If, however, they are disrupted again, the issue will have to be resolved by the General National Congress, HNEC head Nuri Elabbar said.

HNEC did not have the legal authority to call for third round of voting, he explained.

Voting did not take place in 81 polling centres, with the result that altogether 13 seats on the Committee cannot be declared.

RELATED POSTS

CBL Board hold second 2025 meeting in Sebha, discusses revenues, foreign exchange and banking services

Libyan and Tunisian dates companies meet in Sebha to explore international export cooperation

Elabbar said that in Kufra and Sebha, where 95 per cent and 97 per cent of polling stations had opened, ballot papers had been prevented from arriving by road.

He said that negotiations  with the Amazigh community which boycotted the elections were still at an impasse.  However, there were a number of suggestions that had been made to break the deadlock, among them the appointment of Amazigh representatives to the two uncontested Amazigh seats in Zuwara and the Jebel Nafusa.  

It has been suggested that the Supreme Amazigh Council be empowered by Congress to appoint them – a move that would, for the first time, give the council official status in Libya.

HNEC figures for Thursday’s elections are:

Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 13.43.07

[/restrict]

Tags: featuredHNECKufraLibyaSebhaturnout

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Kidnapped Wataniya TV journalists released in Tripoli

Son of prominent Benghazi doctor murdered

Son of prominent Benghazi doctor murdered

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.