No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL head calls for national dialogue and reconciliation

byCallum Paton
December 18, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UNSMIL head calls for national dialogue and reconciliation

Tarek Mitri speaking at the UN Information Centre yesterday

By Callum Paton.

Tarek Mitri speaking at the UN Information Centre yesterday
Tarek Mitri speaking at the UN Information Centre (Photo: Aimen Eljali)

 

Tripoli, 18 December 2013:

The Head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), Tarek Mitri, told a press conference . . .[restrict]yesterday that the UN Security Council was deeply troubled by the spread of weapons in the country and called for national dialogue to resolve ongoing security problems.

Mitri, who was speaking following his briefing to the Security Council in New York eight days ago, told reporters that while the UN had grave concerns over the deteriorating security situation in the country, and the proliferation of weapons,  the Security Council also recognised the opportunities presented by the current situation, with hopes that stability could be restored.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

The UNSMIL head stressed the UN’s desire to see “a transformation of the current political crisis and security instability into an opportunity that would allow Libya to proceed with its transition towards state building, establishing the rule of law, ensuring stability, promoting human rights and addressing livelihood issues”.

In a statement made by the French President of the Security Council, also yesterday, the Security Council expressed its concern at the use of violence by armed groups against Libyan state institutions, including the illegal seizure of energy facilities and smuggling of natural resources, urging the the transfer of such facilities back to proper authorities.

Oil exports have been crippled in the country since July when a number of minority groups with different vested interests began blockading oil and gas facilities and infrastructure. While the UN has said that dialogue is necessary between all different forces in Libya, without exception, Mitri told the press conference yesterday that the UN refused to enter into discussions with groups illegally occupying oil fields or oil terminals.

Mitri added that the work of the UN in Libya was limited to helping bring disparate groups together and its role did not exceed providing assistance and advice to Libyans. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaTarek MitriTripoliUNUN Security CouncilUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Government blocks UN request for security unit

Government blocks UN request for security unit

US-Libyan Trade and Investment Council agreed

US-Libyan Trade and Investment Council agreed

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.