No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sarir power station halted again

bySami Zaptia
January 1, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sarir power station halted again

(Photo: GECOL)

By Libya Herald staff.

The Sarir power station has stopped electricity production again (Photo: GECOL).
The Sarir power station has stopped electricity production again (Photo: GECOL).

Tripoli, 22 December 2013:

Following  yesterday’s brief announcement by the General Electricity Company of Libya’s (GECOL) Station Control Engineer . . .[restrict]Mohammed Almujbary that  Sarir power station was working at its full capacity of 450 MW, GECOL announced today that the power station had once more stopped production.

It had shut down because of security concerns, the station’s executive manager, Hashim Al-Maliki, told the Libya Herald.  “We shut down the generators at ten this morning”.

Two days ago, he said, army units guarding the power station as well as the Sarir and Messla oil fields had been had had to repel gunmen who  attacked the Al-Sarir farm project 40 kilometres east of the station. Although five of the attackers had been killed and one caught and the rest had fled to Jakharra and Tazerbu, the sound of heavy artillery firing had panicked  employees, Al-Maliki said.

RELATED POSTS

REAoL continues installation of solar energy systems in public health centres as part of its Go Green Initiative – urges all public entities to adopt renewables to meet electricity needs

PowerElec 2025 will be held from 8-11 December at Tripoli International Fairgrounds

He added said that because all the power stations in Libya were connected in the national electricity grid, it was highly probable that the stoppage would mean power cuts across the country unless the Zueitina station north of Ajdabiya upped its production.

Earlier today, a statement by GECOL confirmed that workers at the power station had stop working to because of security concerns resulting from the fighting and that output at the station was now down to zero.

As a result, the statement continued, GECOL expected that there wuld be power cuts again across the whole of Libya.

The Sarir power station had been embroiled in the various political, economic and social demands of the local Tebu community. It was only on 11 December that the road blockade preventing trucked fuel supplies to the power station by Tebu protestors had been ended.

This latest stoppage was as a result of what is believed to be Zwai militiamen attacking those regular army units in the region which happen to be made up of Tebus.

With input by Tazeez Hasairi and Jamal Adel. [/restrict]

Tags: electricityGECOLsarirTebuZwaiZway

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

LCOG to take lead in solving some of Libya's problems

Last day of Tripoli’s malouf festival tomorrow

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.