No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Government blocks UN request for security unit

byCallum Paton
December 18, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Government blocks UN request for security unit

By Callum Paton.

Tripoli, 18 December 2013:

Authorities have blocked requests made by the UN Security Council for the deployment of a 235-strong . . .[restrict]guard unit for the protection of UN staff. The rejection was made on the grounds that the force would interfere with the fragile security situation in the country.

Speaking to a press conference yesterday, the head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), Tarek Mitri, told reporters that the UN had reiterated that the task of the guard unit was of limited scope and that its establishment was an ordinary measure that is taken by diplomatic missions. He added that the Libyan government’s refusal to allow the formation of a UN guard brigade was based on a misunderstanding.

The government had previously agreed to the formation of the unit after blocking the request the first time it was submitted. Speaking to the UN Security Council last week, Mitri said that some groups had gone so far as “suspecting the proposed arrangement to be a prelude to international intervention.” He went on the say that UNSMIL had “issued clarifications and had to state the obvious”.

RELATED POSTS

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

The UNSMIL head told journalists yesterday that “the format and size of the guard unit is currently under review, so as to calm some worries and avoid any tendency towards unfounded explanations and assumptions, as well as avoid overstating the significance of an ordinary measure”.

As to whether the UN mission in Libya might have to rein back some of its programmes in light of the decision, Mitri said that UNSMIL’s activities would carry on as usual. The UN had asked for the brigade to protect its mission in “a context of insecurity which had prevailed for many months”, but the organisation’s Libya chief told reporters that his staff could not expect to stop working in a security situation that the people they hoped to help also had to endure. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTarek MitriUN

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
US-Libyan Trade and Investment Council agreed

US-Libyan Trade and Investment Council agreed

Senussi to be questioned by British and US investigators

Senussi to be questioned by British and US investigators

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.