By Ahmed Elumami.
Tripoli, 22 June 2013:
With just three days to go to the 25 June plan by by Tawerghans to head . . .[restrict]back to their hometown, their leaders in a refugee camp at Janzour have rejected the Prime Minister’s call on Thursday to delay the move. They accuse Ali Zeidan of being a mouthpiece for Misrata, whose forces expelled them in August 2011.
“We firmly believe that what Zeidan has said was just a paper from Misrata, and not his own words,” Tawergha camp spokesman Ali Arrous told the Libya Herald.
The Tawerghans “will return” on 25 June, he insisted, but peacefully, as they knew the move posed a real danger to them. Danger, however, was not their first concern after all the time they had been living in the camps.
“Zeidan said that the wounds have not yet healed”, stated Arrous, “but the cause of those wounds has be proved by international and reliable organizations.” The Tawerghans, he said, did not trust the government to investigate the accusations that they had committed atrocities and had all supported Qaddafi.
He admitted there have been violations but the Misratans should not penalise the entire population of Tawergha because of the actions of some of its people.
For his part, Misrata Local Council member Mohamed Ali Al-Ajtal told the Libya Herald that the Tawerghans could return to their hometown but there had to be justice first. The return could only happen after those involved in atrocities were tried and punished.
“There are still graves in Tawergha and we think that our missing sons are there.” Al-Ajtal said.