No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Militia attacks on journalists rising

byNigel Ash
June 12, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji

Tripoli, 11 June 2013:

The growing number of attacks, kidnappings . . .[restrict]and threats mounted by militiamen, against both local and foreign journalists, has brought sharp condemnation from the international pressure group Reporters Without Borders (RWB).

“Journalists have repeatedly been attacked, threatened or kidnapped by militias in recent months” said RWB in a statement today. “We urge the Libyan government to guarantee the safety of journalists and to control the behaviour of militias, operating under the command of the defence or interior ministries or integrated into other state entities, even if only on an ad hoc basis. Those responsible for abuses against journalists must be punished.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

RWB cited two recent instances of the militias’ growing hostility to the media, each of which involved a different, unnamed foreign journalist and a Libyan companion.

In the first incident on 28 May, it claimed that : “An international news agency photographer and local citizen-journalist Mohamed Abu Janah were arbitrarily detained for several hours at the Benghazi headquarters of “Libya Shield No. 7”

RWB said that the photographer had been “summoned” by one of the unit’s commanders to take shots of the HQ. However as both journalists left, they were seized by four militiamen and detained for four hours, during which they were interrogated, threatened and insulted.

Their release, said RWB only came after demonstrations outside the base, demanding they be freed. The pressure group added that the militia commanders had claimed that the two journalists had been trying to break into the HQ, which the pair insisted was completely untrue.

A day later, said RWB, this time in Tripoli, an American journalist and “ his Libyan fixer, Mohamed Essul,” were detained by a gunman in civilian clothes  outside the Interior Ministry, while covering a demonstration by militiamen for higher pay, which was also a protest the new appointment of Mohamed Khalifa Al-Sheikh to head the ministry.

“The two journalists were taken to the Al-Sad katiba (brigade), which claims to be responsible for the security of diplomatic missions” said RWB, “There they were interrogated at length about their activities and were promised an interview with the interior minister.  After several hours, they were taken to another katiba in the Fernaj district, where they were again questioned at length about their work. They were finally released after a total of six hours without being given any explanation or an interview with the minister.”

RWB said that these cases were only part of  growing militia aggression toward the media. It reminded the Libya government of its international and national obligations to protect the freedom of information, expression and opinion and it urged the authorities to protect all journalists working here.

 

It cautioned: “The development of free, independent, pluralist and transparent media is essential for the creation of democratic state in Libya.”

  [/restrict]

Tags: attackskidnappingsLibyaLibya Shield No 7reporters without bordersthreats

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Benghazi tragedy sidelines Congress presidency vote

Benghazi tragedy sidelines Congress presidency vote

Government to spend $588 million on US military transport planes

Government to spend $588 million on US military transport planes

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.