No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libyan Rail Authority meets Chinese about restarting projects

bySami Zaptia
June 24, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya awaiting Chinese team for railway talks

The Chinese Rail Construction Company held talks with Libya's Rail Implementation Authority las week.

By Sami Zaptia

The Chinese Rail Construction Company held talks with Libya’s Rail Implementation Authority last week.

Tripoli, 22 June 2013:

 

The Libya Rail Implementation Authority and the China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC) met last Wednesday to . . .[restrict]discuss ways in which to reactivate  stalled rail projects, LANA reports.

The Chinese company has contracts to build various lengths of the railway from Tripoli to the Tunisian border of Ras Jdair and Tripoli  to Khoms, Sirte and Al-Hisha-Sebha.

RELATED POSTS

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

Railroads Libya hosts Tunisian engineering firm

No details have been released on the outcome of the meeting. However, it was revealed that an attempt is being made to reach a framework agreement that would enable the reactivation of these projects.

Sources at the Rail Implementation Authority told LANA that the meeting was as a result of the decision by the Libyan government to press ahead with  the rail projects.

That decision was revealed on 26 February  this year by Transport Minister Abdel-Qader Ahmed . He disclosed  that he had already had talks with the Russians  abt restarting  their contracts.

Libya’s US$12 billion railway scheme was split between Russian Railways (RZhD), tasked with building the line between Sirte and Benghazi, and the China Railway Construction Corporation (CRCC).

The Chinese were awarded a contract in 2008 to build the line from Sirte to Khoms and then on to the Tunisian border at Ras Jedir. The Chinese also won the contract to build the 800-kilometre line between Misrata and Wadi Shatti near Sebha.

The railways project, which was thought to have been mothballed after the revolution, is now also being actively supported by Congress. In February, GNC spokesman, Omar Hemidan, said that it had tasked its Communications and Transportation Committee to choose a president and vice-president for the railways implementation project.

Despite wanting to revive it, the transport minister warned the Russians and Chinese in February not to increase their original contract prices by claiming for compensation for the two-year delay, during which costs of construction materials significantly increased.

He said that Libya would pay the companies 50 percent of what they were owed if they restarted work again under the original terms, with the rest of the fees being paid in two further 25-percent tranches.

The same offer has been made to Chinese, Turkish and other companies involved in building housing and other projects, providing they drop compensation claims. However, most have refused.

According to the minister, there is a Plan B if the Russians and Chinese refuse the railway offer. There is an alternative project with the Italians still on the table, he said, using Italian funds agreed as part of the 2006 US$5 billion compensation deal for the Italian colonialisation of Libya, agreed between Qaddafi and former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. [/restrict]

Tags: ChineseCRCCItalianQaddafirailRussianSilvio Berlusconi

Related Posts

Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

May 22, 2026
Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports
Business

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

May 22, 2026
Tripoli Chamber invites investment proposals for its buildings
Business

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

May 21, 2026
Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91
Business

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

May 21, 2026
Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

May 21, 2026
Turkey agrees to reduce age range for Libyans requiring an entry visa
Business

Turkish institutions ready to contribute to implementation of joint Libyan marine sector projects: Turkish Ambassador Güven Beginç

May 21, 2026
Next Post
New US ambassador socialises with Libyans in Tripoli café

New US ambassador socialises with Libyans in Tripoli café

Tawerghans reject Zeidan’s appeal not to return home

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.