No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Protest delegation invited to Tripoli to put an end to major Obari oil field protest

byGeorge Grant
December 16, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Protest delegation invited to Tripoli to put an end to major Obari oil field protest

Demonstrators interrupted production at the Sharara oil field in Obari earlier this month

By George Grant.

Predominantly Tebu protesters have been occupying the site of Sharara oil field in Obari for almost a fortnight.

Tripoli, 16 December:

Negotiations to put an end to a major protest at the Akakus-Repsol oil field in Obari are . . .[restrict]being stepped-up, with a delegation of protesters due to arrive in Tripoli in the next few days.

Production at the Sharara field has been badly affected since a group of demonstrators began picketing the site around 4 December. The site has subsequently been occupied, with protesters claiming to have shut off production entirely, although this has been denied by Akakus officials in Tripoli.

”No one seems to know exactly what is going down there”, said an Akakus source on condition of anonymity. ”The demonstration is still on and part of our production has been stopped. It is not clear quite how much yet”.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Austria discuss possibility of holding economic forum

Turkish trade delegation to visit Libya this April

Asked how negotiations with the demonstrators were going, the source said that ”no solution had been reached yet. Their demands keep changing”. He expressed his surprise that ”no attention was really being paid to the issue. No one high up in the government seems to be paying the issue much attention.”

The demonstrators are predominantly Tebu, and are complaining over the lack of opportunities provided for local people at the oil field.

“We want job opportunities and development opportunities”, Mohammed Lafi, one of the protest organisers, told the Libya Herald.

“Almost all the employees here come from Tripoli and the coastal areas, because the job office is in Tripoli.”

Lafi said that a delegation of six GNC members had been to visit the site in the past few days and that a delegation of protesters had been invited to Tripoli to discuss their concerns.

“We will come on Sunday or Monday, if we can get a plane”, Lafi said. The delegation will be meeting with representatives from the oil field’s management staff.

The Sharara field is a joint venture between the National Oil Corporation’s Akakus company, which owns 51 per cent, and the Spanish oil company Repsol, which owns 49 per cent. [/restrict]

Tags: BusinessfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Misrata Chamber of Commerce holds meeting with companies to discuss HoR’s new tax bill
Business

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba relaunches construction of Tripoli Gate’s Zumurrud Shopping Mall on Airport Road
Business

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

February 18, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Ministry of Economy invites Serbian companies to participate in 52nd Tripoli International Fair

February 18, 2026
‘‘Enhancing skills related to the green and blue economy to enhance employment opportunities’’ workshop held in Tripoli
Business

Ministry of Planning meets Libyan Industry Union to discuss support for nationally manufactured products

February 18, 2026
Policeman killed in UNDP Tripoli office attack
Business

Libyan institutions explore how emerging technologies can strengthen education and scientific research

February 18, 2026
State sectors in east to form unified e-window for speedier procedures
Business

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

February 17, 2026
Next Post
Libya seeks to boost naval ties with France

Libya seeks to boost naval ties with France

Benghazi rocked by second night of attacks

Benghazi rocked by second night of attacks

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.