No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya seeks to boost naval ties with France

byGeorge Grant
December 16, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya seeks to boost naval ties with France

The French stealth frigate Aconit berthed in Tripoli port on Sunday, 16 December 2012. (Photo: George Grant)

By Tom Little.

The French stealth frigate Aconit berthed in Tripoli port on Sunday, 16 December 2012. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 16 December:

Discussions over how to strengthen ties between the Libyan and French navies took place in Tripoli on . . .[restrict]Sunday, when navy chief of staff Hassan Boushnak met the with commander of a visiting French frigate.

Boushnak met the captain of the French stealth frigate Aconit, Olivier de Saint Julien, at a naval base in the capital, where the pair talked about increasing cooperation between the forces, sharing intelligence and joint training.

Saint Julien took part in NATO operations against Qaddafi during the 2011 revolution on board the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, and this is the Aconit’s first visit to Libya since its involvement in last year’s conflict.

RELATED POSTS

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

Chief of Staff of Libyan Army Al-Namroush discusses supporting pilot training, improving the Air College and developing Naval forces

Saint Julien said in a statement that his discussions with Boushnak had focused on cooperation in the future, but said he and his crew were delighted to be in Libya to establish ties between the navies.

He added that a number of Libyan naval personnel will tour military bases in France soon, although he did not specify when the visit would take place or how many officers had been invited.

Boushnak said that the visit of the frigate, which will stay in Tripoli until 17 December, was part of a wider initiative aimed at strengthening maritime ties between France and Libya.

The two forces first started working together in November 2011, he said, when French naval personnel helped to clear mines and debris from fighting during the revolution from around Tripoli, as well as training Libyan divers.

At the time of the revolution, Libya’s fleet under Qaddafi was already run-down and outdated, and NATO bombing destroyed a number of its warships.

Since the end of fighting last year, efforts have been made to retrain naval personnel to help maintain Libya’s sea borders and prevent migrants travelling to Europe, with significant assistance from foreign navies.

A Libyan naval team visited Tripoli in September to help with training, and earlier this month officers from the Libyan armed forces attended a three-day seminar held by the British military, which also took place in Tripoli. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredFranceLibyanavyQaddafi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Benghazi rocked by second night of attacks

Benghazi rocked by second night of attacks

GNC announces temporary closure of southern borders and declares south a “closed military zone”

GNC announces temporary closure of southern borders and declares south a “closed military zone”

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.