No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Illegal and dangerous imported cars flooding Libya

byGeorge Grant
November 26, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Illegal and dangerous imported cars flooding Libya

Used cars in Libya are often unserviced and dangerous. (Photo: George Grant)

By Maha Ellawati.

Used cars in Libya are often unserviced and dangerous. (Photo: George Grant)

Benghazi, 26 November:

Libya is suffering from a vast influx of imported used cars, many of them illegal, according to . . .[restrict]the chairman of the Benghazi Local Council’s transportation committee.

Saddiq Salama Zliteni said the influx began following a decree allowing the import of used cars passed by the NTC’s executive committee, headed at the time by Mahmoud Jibril, and that subsequent efforts to reverse the decision are largely proving to be futile.

“The importing of used cars was prohibited under the former regime, but after the 17 February revolution, the Executive Council of Mahmoud Jibril issuing a decree allowing the importing of such vehicles, including those which were manufactured years ago”. Zliteni told the Libya Herald.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“Following the decision, many people took advantage of the decision and many old cars have been brought to Libya”.

Shortly after the formation of the Kib government, a new law was passed drafted by the Ministry of Economy banning the import of any vehicle manufactured in 2007 or earlier.

“These vehicles are a menace to road safey and the safety of the drivers, not to mention the impact of importing old cars on the local economy and already over-congested roads”, Saddiq Zliteni complained.

“We are obliged to uphold the law, but we have faced an uphill battle upholding this resolution owing to the lack of security and widespread availability of weapons”.

Zliteni also said that a number of sea ports were illegally flouting the law and allowing the import of these vehicles anyway.

“Of course, car merchants and others in the trade are not pleased with this decision as it hinders their business, and this also makes things more difficult”.

The local councilor refused to name which ports in particular were flouting the law, but Libya Herald sources claim that Misrata and Khoms are amongst the principal offenders, both of which are major destinations for car imports.

Obtaining an exact number for how many vehicles have been illegally imported over the past year is impossible since, by definition, these vehicles are entering the country unrecorded. However, some have estimated the number to be in the tens if not hundreds of thousands.

Over and above the threat posed to human life by renegade militias, road traffic accidents are widely assessed as being the biggest threat to security in Libya today.

Congestion on Libyan roads, in particular in the major town centres, has also become a serious issue, and one that is reckoned to be having a genuine impact on the economy.

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaUsed cars

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Libyan media to be regulated by new Ministry of Information

Government now says deputy ministers to stay in place until replacements appointed

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.