No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UK experts help Libya with IED detection

byNigel Ash
October 1, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UK experts help Libya with IED detection

An un-earthed IED

By Tom Westcott.

A deadly un-earthed IED

London, 1 October:

A British team has completed repair work on specialist equipment to detect and dispose of Improvised Explosive . . .[restrict]Devices (IEDs), the British Embassy in Tripoli has said.

“The team has been assisting the Libyan Government and the Ministry of Interior repair its specialist equipment so that it is better able to deal with a range of potentially lethal incidents including IEDs,” the embassy said in a statement.

The embassy said it was a successful visit, mounted in cooperating with the United Nations Special Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) that: “helped to restore the Libyan operational capability and identify future equipment needs.”

RELATED POSTS

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

This is only part of what the British have been doing to help deal with explosive. From last October until this March, a team of British IED experts based in Misrata assisted the Libyan Ministry of Defence with its clearance and disarmament efforts.

“Since then,” explained the embassy, “we have provided an advisor to the Libyan Government to support them as they create sustainable plans for clearance, disarmament and conventional weapons destruction in the future.”

According to the embassy, this latest visit: “is part of the United Kingdom’s enduring efforts to support the Libyan Government, at it seeks to ensure the safety of all its people.”

In conjunction with UNSMIL and the European Union, the UK will help establish a Libyan Explosive Ordinance Training School in 2013 to train local experts in this field.

No specific details have been given of the equipment which the UK team had been repairing.

The British have learned the hard way in both Afghanistan and Iraq to deal with IEDs. New technologies are currently being developed in the UK.

These include, an apparently revolutionary hand-held device, the Integrated Multiplex Assay and Sampling System (IMASS), that can detect a range of explosive substances.

Although created by a UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) scientist, IMASS will be made available to other defence organisations.

Moreover, British boffins not simply relying on their in-house talent to produce new ways of foiling terrorists. They have invited outside technologists to come up fresh innovations to detect IEDs.

These will be tested,” said the MOD,” against threats including concealed IEDs, either worn by a person or hidden in a vehicle, buried by or in the road, or hidden in a wall, box, bag or other container.” However, this is a battle in which scientists sometimes struggle to stay one step ahead of the bomb-makers. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Detained Australian aid worker returns home

Detained Australian aid worker returns home

Down’s Syndrome school opened in Gharyan

Down's Syndrome school opened in Gharyan

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.