No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thousands demonstrate against militias, violence and disorder

byGeorge Grant
September 22, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Maha Ellawati and Sami Zaptia.

Around 30-40,000 people are reckoned to have attended the demonstration in Benghazi.

Benghazi and Tripoli, 22 September:

Thousands of Libyans demonstrated in the country’s two largest cities of Tripoli . . .[restrict]and Benghazi yesterday.

The demonstrations had been planned for days and were as a direct result of the attack on the US consulate and the death of ambassador Chris Stevens.

Whilst the Tripoli demonstration was much smaller, the Benghazi demonstration billed as  the “Save Benghazi Friday” was believed to have attracted between 30,000-40,000 people.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Protesters carried banners condemning the murder of Ambassador Stevens and chanting slogans such as “No to Al-Qaeda” and “No to terrorism”.

The demonstrations reflect a mood of frustration that is sweeping the country with the seemingly ineffective interim government of the outgoing Prime Minister Abdulrahim Al-Kib.

Demonstrators were also directing their anger at the numerous paralegal militias that continue to resist the demand that they either join the official National Army or disband.

Meanwhile the Ansar Al-Sharia brigade, suspected of involvement in the consulate attacks, had organised its own rally “in honour of the Prophet”, to be held at the same time and location as the other rally.

Violence had been feared between the “Save Benghazi” rally and its far smaller rival, but confrontations were limited to strong words during the demonstrations themselves.

Libyan Air Force jets conducted a number of flybys over the city of Benghazi to provide support to the demonstrators and perhaps as warning to potential troublemakers.

“It was one of the most amazing days in Benghazi which reminded me of the days of the beginning of the Revolution”, said Najla Elmanhoush an NGO activist.

Demonstrators were also hoping to send a strong message to the new Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur that the nation was ready for strong government and the imposition of law and order. [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
The Libyan Iron and Steel Company restarts hot strip mill

The Libyan Iron and Steel Company restarts hot strip mill

Protesters overrun Ansar Al-Sharia and second brigade in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benina Airport installs first-ever ILS/DME Navigational Aids System by Spain’s Sky Navigation Systems

Sirte Oil Company completes drilling of horizontal well C345H in the Ziltan field with production rate of 2,000 barrels per day

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.